Wildlife Photography

Pics
Do you use any sort of tripod or just have very steady hands?
I've actually never used a tripod for wildlife, everything is handheld. I do use very fast shutter speeds when possible to help get sharp shots. Those images were shot at 1/3200 of a second.

I'll tell you what though, birds in flight are tough. I take a LOT of images to get just a few good ones. On most of them, me or the camera miss focus. I don't do birds in flight that often but it is quite hard to keep them in the viewfinder, especially when they get close. If you can see them a good ways off, aquire a focus lock, and track them smoothly as they fly closer it works a lot better....

I've actually never used a tripod for wildlife, everything is handheld. I do use very fast shutter speeds when possible to help get sharp shots. Those images were shot at 1/3200 of a second.

I'll tell you what though, birds in flight are tough. I take a LOT of images to get just a few good ones. On most of them, me or the camera miss focus. I don't do birds in flight that often but it is quite hard to keep them in the viewfinder, especially when they get close. If you can see them a good ways off, aquire a focus lock, and track them smoothly as they fly closer it works a lot better....
You're good. All of my in flight pictures are very blurry!

DSC_0688.JPG
ps cropped_1_DSC_0650.jpg
ps cropped_1_DSC_0649.JPG

All from 2/20/2022

Can I ask what camera you use?

Can I ask what camera you use?
I've been using a Canon 80D for the last 5 years or so and it has been a great camera. I just bought a used Canon R5 last month and it's pretty incredible. Canon just announced the R7 and I preorded one. The R5 is crazy expensive and the R7 is a lot cheaper (but still expensive). My plan was to use the R5 until the R7 comes out then sell it.

The R7 is an incredible camera for the money. I like to buy all my gear used but this R7 will be my first new camera. It's supposed to ship at the end of the month and I can't wait to use it....

Back
Top Bottom