Wildlife Photography

Pics
I've been using a Canon 80D for the last 5 years or so and it has been a great camera. I just bought a used Canon R5 last month and it's pretty incredible. Canon just announced the R7 and I preorded one. The R5 is crazy expensive and the R7 is a lot cheaper (but still expensive). My plan was to use the R5 until the R7 comes out then sell it.

The R7 is an incredible camera for the money. I like to buy all my gear used but this R7 will be my first new camera. It's supposed to ship at the end of the month and I can't wait to use it....
Thanks for the info!

I've been using a Canon 80D for the last 5 years or so and it has been a great camera. I just bought a used Canon R5 last month and it's pretty incredible. Canon just announced the R7 and I preorded one. The R5 is crazy expensive and the R7 is a lot cheaper (but still expensive). My plan was to use the R5 until the R7 comes out then sell it.

The R7 is an incredible camera for the money. I like to buy all my gear used but this R7 will be my first new camera. It's supposed to ship at the end of the month and I can't wait to use it....
Have you had to adjust your shooting switching from DSLR to mirrorless? I'm at the point where I need to move to a full frame body and buy new glass, and debating whether or not I want to go all in and move to a mirrorless setup or stick with a DSLR.

Have you had to adjust your shooting switching from DSLR to mirrorless? I'm at the point where I need to move to a full frame body and buy new glass, and debating whether or not I want to go all in and move to a mirrorless setup or stick with a DSLR.
Mirrorless is the future without a doubt. The eye tracking AF was worth the upgrade alone for me. Silent shutter can be very useful at times. I'm really liking the electronic viewfinder which let's you see the exposure of the image before you take it. (Can't tell you how many times my settings were left over from astro or low light then I grab my camera to shoot a bird real quick and after 20 or 30 shots I check an image to see they're all overexposed).

The things that took getting used to for me were the reduced battery life and the slight lag in the EVF when doing bursts of birds in flight. I've never ran a fully charged battery all the way down yet but if I forget to charge it I will kill it on the second trip so I always have a spare battery on me. And when panning a tracking a fast bird at close range there is a slight delay in the EVF when shooting bursts. At first it's kind of annoying but you get used to it over time.

The biggest bonus for me is I can use all my EF and EF-s glass on the mirrorless RF mount with a $100 adapter. There's no hit in image quality or AF speed. Makes it much easier to transition over.... though from here on out I will try to buy mostly RF glass.

Last edited:
Fished the night lights early this morning and caught a limit of specs and gigged a couple flounder. On the way home I stopped on the causeway for the sunrise. I've got to be a lot stealthier because I scare the osprey off every time I pull in. The pelicans were there though and a black crowned night heron stropped by. Was able to get a few silhouettes. Unfortunately the last image (my favorite) is not sharp. I need to start paying attention to my settings. As the sun comes up and I can increase my shutter speed more and more and it was high enough for a much higher SS than I was using which would have got me a sharp image when he took off. I knew he was about to take off and I should have zoomed out too, oh well, you live and you learn.....

250A7892.jpg

250A7902.jpg

250A8037.jpg

250A8048.jpg

250A8057.jpg

Back
Top Bottom