1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wings split is this normal or a defect? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Im not sur eis this is the right area to ask this but if it is not feel welcome to move it thanks...
    Well here is one of my week and half old chicks and as i was taking pics today of them i relized one of them has both wings feathers split i was wondering is this is normal or is this a defect please let me know
    Here is pic of left wing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here is the right wing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Totally normal. While chicks grow the secondaries and primaries split due to the differences in rate of growth. Primaries grow faster, secondaries slower. All of my chicks do that to some extent when they're itty bitty. They'll grow out of it, but keep in mind that it might take a good long while before they do.

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks so much it almost look as if this chick had 4 wings they were so spaced out

im going to name him dragonfly

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Aaaaw, that's a cute name! What breed is he?

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    im not sure he is a mutt most likelty, but looking at the pics just right now it looks like he is getting some barring so maybe a barred rock cross but we will see you got any ideas i dont i just hope he is ok, also when the feathers grow in slower then the other feathers those are usually males right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by