Winter molting!

PurplePalace

Hatching
5 Years
May 12, 2014
This will be my first winter with my ladies and I think one of my girls is molting! I am concerned because it is so cold here. Should I place a warming lamp in the coop for her? I have read about feeding extra protein to help with the process and making a special water formula for them to drink but any extra advice would be great. Why molt in the winter though? Thanks.

I don't know why they molt in the winter,but you don't need a lamp,unless its under 35 degrees...

I had 2 bare backed girls last winter....and it was frigid, like way below freezing frigid, for weeks....they were fine.
You can use a heat lamp but they are very dangerous, can cause other problems and plenty of birds are fine without them.

A higher protein feed is good for molters for sure.
I like to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat and have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

Back
Top Bottom