Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Whooooo-Hoooo! This is definitely an "ask and you shall receive" moment!!!! I will be attending for sure! I guess if I would attend my MGV meetings I would hear about this stuff hey?

Oh David...I dont know if you can sex that particular breed at hatching or not but many you can feathersex...there are a few videos on youtube about it...every time I try I seem to second guess myself; but what you do is look at where the flight feathers are starting to come on the end of the wing. IF there are long AND short ones it is a female. If they are all the same length, then it is a male bird. This only works for certain breeds though. I watched a film one time where the factories were sexing chicks and those guys do many thousands per hour!-- tossing the boys into one chute and the girls into another! It was unbelievable! Good luck!
    Terri O

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I just came down to sort some eggs and label them for incubating.. How come label and table are not spelled alike ??

I shall be busy for about an hour.. but I checked in here first..

Terri, I wonder if wing sexing works for turkeys ?? that would be nice .. I need to find a sure fire way.. I am going to set only 2 dozen turkey eggs .. BTW I will not vent sex them..

later,,,

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Hmmmm........... the chicken math is strong in this one................ and fast. [​IMG]

4. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Hopefully all of those dandy danelion seeds that you worked so hard at planting stayed put. Otherwise I hope they land in your Land Lords Garden !!! Or some rich bugger down the street that hires out for lawn care !!! [​IMG]

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Here is a vid from You tube. Kinda blurry, but you get the idea pretty easily. I've found it is easiest to figure out when they are 3 days old. If they're any older, forget it. Good luck!

6. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Evening all!
    Spent the day playing door man for the dogs. They had quite the day playing In and Out! They barked at everything today.....leaves, wind, squirrels, birds, ground hogs, cows, cats...you name it....drove me nuts...

Ah man phone is ringing and it's in the kitchen......where I am not....Grrrr...wrong number....

Other then that I washed a ton of canning jars and lids. That was fun.
    I got a great deal on some salt and flour and I wanted to keep them in something other then their original packaging so I can store them. I have to find my oxygen absorbers for the flour though.....

David-I'm having trouble on how to word this[​IMG]..... Depending on the strain of SLW, yes they can be feather sexed. So not all SLW can be feather sexed. Does that make any sense at all?[​IMG] I think it's worth a look see at the feathers. You never know the breeder might have a feather sexable strain.

7. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI

Or give the Marans to me !!! [​IMG]

8. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I just read something about powdere eggs. I think it was in the literature I got from TSC. Care to share the info you have. Pretty Please !!! [​IMG]

Your Husband is such a nice guy !!! He gave a good talk too !! Of course I knew almost everything already !!! [​IMG]It is fun to hear some of the questions that never before chicken owners have though. I got there to late, didn't win the cabinet incubator !! [​IMG]

9. FrenchToast

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Post number 191161 was looking.

10. otonoh

otonoh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by