Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Jim... did you go to bed yet?
Saw what you said about the roast you do. I managed to scrape 5 decent roast out of that poor deer. Then I saw you mention neck roast. I used to do neck roast, then for some reason stopped doing them. they are tasty and fairly tender.
hu.gif
I had actually cut the neck meat out so I could do it. Well, after trimming the one half out I remembered why I stopped doing them.
th.gif

Allot of trimming! I wish I had some pork sausage. The last one I did I stuffed it before tying (much easier than stuffing it after tying
gig.gif
) Anyway, I remembered it turned out great that way! So I got 6 roasts, the back straps, some stew meat and a bunch of grind. All in all about 43 lbs of useable meat. Not bad considering the shape it was in. Still P O'd about the tenderloins though.
sad.png

TO... Some of us learned to do things like that because we want to know how. Others of us learn to it because we were broke and game was hunted out of necessity. If your broke you don't pay someone to cut it up.
roll.png
I'm slower at it now than I was.... but I can skin, cut and cook almost anything! A good skill to have, taught my kids what I could. 2 of them even got jobs for a deer processor. My oldest worked for him for about 5 years until the MS got to the point he couldn't do it. My youngest for 4 years but he got a FT job and could do that and school too. I've even done a little hunting, I just don't like the weather or the hours for most hunting.... About bear, like most game you want to trim it well. "Deep Woods" bear is better than one that's been feeding out of dumps. Same with coons.

BigZ...Bear is good too! Hope you get one! Yep, not good to over cook venison. I try to keep it med. to med. rare.
droolin.gif
I may can some of the stew meat though, just because it quick, easy, and tender when your ready to use it.

Guess that's all for now. Youngest son is having us over to his place tomorrow/today and has everything ready to go so I don't have to bring anything! Fri. We go to 2nd son's Fri and I'll do pies for then.

Night all!

Happy Turkey Day Everyone! Just had to pop in to tell you about the dream L had this morning. We were getting married and the chickens were the bridesmaids. Brownie was the maid of honor! She said I was up front and all she had to do was tell them to go to daddy and they all walked down the isle single file.
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
Hope you all have a great one!

Happy Turkey Day everyone!! Sorry I haven't been around lately. Life is crazy busy! I check in every now and then to see what is all going on. I'm liking the dream DrHa.
Well off to make pies. Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday! Later Tators! Becky

Last edited:
good turkey-day morning.. I had a good night's sleep and raring to go.. Turkey is thawed and ready for a rub-down..

I collected a Toulouse egg this morning.. Definately a Toulouse. there was no egg when I shut the door last night and they were the only two geese in the chicken coop.. Now I even know which goose it is.. she is the one who lays way into June: long after the rest have quit..

DrH, strange dream,, maybe it is some sort of premanition.. better watch for signs of nesting.. like hogging all the blankets..

Cind, you keep mentiioning about the tenderloins.. did they shoot them out , or did somebody cut them out ? I knew a guy who used to "help" people out by gutting their deer.. He would take out the tenderloins with the guts and keep the tenderloins.. an easy one to get away with with somebody who is new to hunting..

.......jiminwisc...........

Good late morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all! I had a man from Milw come today and buy 10 muskovies!
ya.gif
I am starting to get down in numbers finally...see, I knew if I waited long enough I wouldnt have to butcher any myself! I think I still will though...that meant was pretty darn good when I ate it last time.
WOW Cind you really sound the the "wild woods woman!" Yes knowing how to do all that stuff is a definite plus! It amazes me how many people have no idea how to do the most practical things...of course I would be preaching to the choir here!

Well it really looks like it is going to rain here so I guess I need to go and get my stuff off the tailgate of the pick up. I replied to someone on Freecycle last night and I am going to pick up some large sheets of wood with linoleum glued to it...I figure it is an easy start to another chicken coop!
wink.png

I have figured out why one of my Blue Ams doesnt go out of the pen. He is going blind! His one eye looked a little funny a month ago or so and now it has a definite haze and the other one is starting to do it too. Guess that will be an easy choice who to get rid of in there...I am going to see if DH's friend that had a pet roo that died wants another one. He is a nice bird...

OK--gotta go and pick up my client so she can have dinner with us...everyone eat LOTS! (so you can snooze through the game with me!) LOL--Terri O

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I wanna know what color the bridesmaids dresses were????? Or did they walk down the isle in the buff ???
gig.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!

Quote:
TO, check out some of the websites on Mareks disease. Blindness can be Mareks disease. If that is the case you definately don't want to give that bird to anyone.

I'll be sleeping thru the game too, that is even if I watch it.
Gotta look up recipes for stuffing etc. Nothing like the last minute hey, we might just cook our turkey tomorrow too. Depends on how the day goes. He's out scraping the horse lot now. Yep, nothing like waiting il the last minute.

We found a place in Pound that will process the buck for $48 and the do for $43. After you figure in the cost of the wrap and your time, well worth it fo me, then I don't have to see the poor thing hanging there and all that gore !!
I'm one of those that doesn't associate the meat I eat with a real live animal, I'd be a vegitarian if I had to butcher my own.

Wish I didn't love meat so much, I maybe would try it. But ................. don't think it would last long. Their is animal fat in cookies and everything !!!

Ok, off to do reicpe searches.

good pre game everybody, For TerriO's sake, I hope the Pack wins another one..

I gave 2 chickens and a turkey a rub down with Watkin's chicken seasoning.. slow cooking at 200F in the "Nesco" ..
We will eat, when we eat, it all depends on how long the birds take to fall off the bone..

One of the Sebs laid an egg.. I want to wait until I have one more before I set them.. I like to set at least 4 at a time..

My brother showed up for coffee early this morning..He said it was nice to sleep in, until 6AM ....He was bored.. they filled all 4 of their buck tags on opening day.. this is the first thanksgiving (forever) that he has not hunted.. he is 65; and except for 2 years in Viet Nam that must be about 45 years..

see y'all after the game..

TerriO, I can't make it there in time to snooze through the game with you.. maybe a raincheck ??

.........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom