Wondering what happened to my chickie. :(

bscorpio73

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
North Carolina
I just bought a supposedly 8 week old chick yesturday (looked to be younger, as my chicks in coop are six weeks and looks bigger than this chick). The bird seemed to be fine, scratched at food, was drinking water, yesturday evening. This morning the chick was standing up, sleeping, and did this all day. As a precautionary measure, I put small amount of vinegar in water. I give my other chicks yogurt everymorning, and I gave this chick some as well. The chick ate some yogurt, and drank water, but did not eat any chick starter feed this morning. As the day progressed, the chick continued to stand, and sleep. I began to worry, and gave the bird some vi-tal in the water. The bird just got worse. This morning I noticed that it's stool was very runny and clear, or yellowish in color. I read somewhere that it was because it may not be eating. A while after giving the bird some water, I noticed the crop was full. I massaged the crop, and the bird threw up some water with white specks in it. The chick continued to go down hill, fast. I walked around with the bird, trying to give it comfort, and as I was turning, the chicks head was twitching, and it's eyes were jerking with the head motion, as if it had vertigo. I am sure that is what was happening, as I suffer from this as well. The bird ended up dying this afternoon. I had the bird little over 24 hours. Did I do something to this bird to kill it? I feel so bad, me and my son have been crying all evening.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I would say you had a sick chick to start with. I'm sure you had done the best that you could have done trying to save it.

Did you isolate it from your other birds? I don't have enough experience to know what happened, but hope your other chickies won't get sick as well.

Yes, I did have it isolated. Thanks for all the posts. I got 3 baby chicks from same place, I just hope that they all turn out okay. They seem to be doing fine, so far.

Back
Top Bottom