Wood sealer on interior of coop?

ssteiner

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Orange, CA
I've just finished construction of a small coop for my three girls and am now planning to seal the exterior against water. Then I got to wondering about sealing the interior, but I was concerned regarding fumes/residue/etc. What are people's opinions about this?

Thanks.
Scott

HI Scott,
We used deck sealant on the wood framed walled we sectioned our coop with in a steel barn. It had several weeks to dry and works great. If usec something like that give it as much time to dry as possible. At least a week.

It makes cleaning very easy. All that nasty dust just vacuums right off.
It will also protect the wood from chicken poop and the rigors of cleaning.

Good Luck:)

I used deck sealer on the outside... Planning to paint in spring.

On the inside I used white wood primer paint.... I painted with a heater on since it was rather cold that day and in two days it was fine....

Had a tough time keeping the animals from inspecting what was going on but I didn't want to wait until spring to do the inside with the potential for poop/water in the coop causing issues....

The white really helps with seeing too....

I used deck sealer on the floor and all the trim boards, worked great keeps everything nice. I think it helps keep any smells from really setting in and taking over. I wouldnt recommend painting the flooor or inside walls though,they will just peck it off. Probably not very good for their tummies.

I primed and painted the outside of my coop and only part of the inside including the floor. I used paint I had left over from other projects. My birds don't even look at it much less peck at the painted part. There is a picture on my BYC Page.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
As long as the outside is weather tight, well sealed, stained or painted, theres no need to use any paints, sealers,etc. inside the coop.
As mentioned, we all know the girls like to peck things, why let them peck at dried chemicals...? On the floor, just use some linolem tiles or something for easy cleaning..
I just think its healthier to have a all natural wood interior in the coop. I don't use any exposed pressure treated wood inside the coop either.Just my two cents...
smile.png

Quote:
cmom, I took a look at your byc page and saw your greenhouse. Is that one you built yourself, or was it a pre-fab? I am dying to get one this winter and wanted to build my own hopefully.

Sorry to get off topic here, I will now return you to the regular byc topic.

I painted the inside of my coop with exterior latex paint (a $5 mistint from HD) so it would be a bit lighter and easier to clean. I don't see my chicken pecking it at all although it were to crack or start to peel I suppose they might.

Back
Top Bottom