World Egg Day Hatchalong!(October 12, 2012 is World Egg Day!)

Sorry about your hatch I hate it when I loose them.
hugs.gif

Well I ended up with a surprise yesterday. I thought all the eggs where done. I had 3 guinea eggs. 1 had been under a silkie but quit (the lady dropped it and I think that did it in) and 2 fresh eggs we found on the ground. So I had candled them early in and didn't see any development so I thought they were no good. For some reason I left them in the incubator and left it running. Well the other day I hear chirping and just asume it was from outside. The next morning I hear it again and start to wonder if it is coming from the incubator. And there it was, a noisy energetic guinea keet. The other egg started to hatch but didn't finish zipping and died. I may have been because the water had completly dried out. I felt bad that he didn't make it.

I have a similar story, a broody hen gave up on her eggs so I went down and candled and 2 were still developing. I put them in my incubator and waited, one hatched right when I thought it would but the other didn't do anything. I candled 3 days later and nothing, no movement, no blood vessels, just a almost completely dark egg. I was sure the little guy died a bit after the move. I was used to just having the one little chick. because he was alone, he imprinted on me and thought I was his mother. It was very sweet but thats another story. Anyway, I left incubator plugged in for the next week, I'm still not sure why because I was sure he was dead, I had no second thoguhts but I left it going. After that week we went on a 4 day vacation. (Incubator still running) Over the vacation I remembered that I had left it on, as soon as we got home I went to go unplug it and I couldn't believe my eyes, a beautiful little black cochin rooster chick. He hatched upside down with 20% humidity because I had left the water trays go dry, how he did it, I just don't know.

And of course since I usually over think things I have something else to tell you. I had just recently lost the best rooster in the world, he was the biggest sweet heart ever. Someone even told me that I should bring him into into hospitals as a therapy rooster (like a therapy dog). He was a big old black cochin and when he died, he was the only chicken that I buried, I even built a grave stone. And then one month later, this litte black cochin rooster chick defeats all odds to come into the world, so you all know where this is going. By the way, that chick would be his grandson, hahaha.

My eggs are still going strong, eight of the ten refrigerator eggs are doing great and sooooo is the other dozen I have also all six quail eggs made it to lock down yesterday and I have two piping already, chicken eggs go into lockdown Sunday. And a super yippee is that my red bourbon Turkey eggs made it here to day the look great but have detached air cells any suggestions on how to treat them the cells could be worse but for the most part they are still staying in the larger end of the egg, also I won a bid on lavender Orpingtons expected arrive time is about the first of November

Chucklecluck, I can only think to let them sit, large side up for a day or two, that usually sets them up again, If they're not the freshest, just do that in the incubator (no turning) then start gently turning them.

I still have no idea, cindersga! But they're getting even cuter! If that's possible (I love that age, what? 3-4 weeks?) Cute!

My best guess on the first is a buff brahma.

Cochins have extreme feathering on the legs and toes. They look like they are wearing pants and they're feet almost completely covered in feather, at the very least the middle toe. Brahmas have leg and foot feathering, but not to the extent of cochins. They only have feathers on the outsides of their feet. So that might help. Also look at the comb, brahmas have pea combs while cochins have single combs. And the little guy could still be something other than cochin or brahma. Oh and one last thing, even though I said the feathering looks like a buff brahma, there are cochins out there with buff columbian coloring which is bascially the same thing. The cochins in that color just aren't very common. Guess you will know in a couple more weeks.

I have no idea on the other 2. Maybe the black one is a sumatra? I really don't know.

Chucklecluck, I can only think to let them sit, large side up for a day or two, that usually sets them up again, If they're not the freshest, just do that in the incubator (no turning) then start gently turning them.

I still have no idea, cindersga! But they're getting even cuter! If that's possible (I love that age, what? 3-4 weeks?) Cute!
HAHA The are at 4 weeks in this picture and 4 1/2 weeks today. I know that color is MilleFluer right? Thanks cluck-cluck.
frow.gif

My best guess on the first is a buff brahma.

Cochins have extreme feathering on the legs and toes. They look like they are wearing pants and they're feet almost completely covered in feather, at the very least the middle toe. Brahmas have leg and foot feathering, but not to the extent of cochins. They only have feathers on the outsides of their feet. So that might help. Also look at the comb, brahmas have pea combs while cochins have single combs. And the little guy could still be something other than cochin or brahma. Oh and one last thing, even though I said the feathering looks like a buff brahma, there are cochins out there with buff columbian coloring which is bascially the same thing. The cochins in that color just aren't very common. Guess you will know in a couple more weeks.

I have no idea on the other 2. Maybe the black one is a sumatra? I really don't know.

Does this help? It does kind of look like a Buff Brahma after you described their traits.

Love it's Muff!

Back
Top Bottom