worm issue

Eewww...I am going to freak out when/if I ever find something like this. I read somewhere to mix DE in their feed every couple of months to prevent this. Hope this is true cause that is what I'm relying on. Again, eeewwww!

I just give them mince garlic but these were pullets that I didn't hatch out myself, it boosts their immune and helps by they have a slight odor like the dogs we don't detect to help keep away external parasites,lice,mites, fleas etc, I just need to figure out 2 doses for 6 chickens so can buy the one med from the vet.

They are all seeming more perky with the Corid too. but need to clear the worm load some for them but need to tell vet how much I need, got a syringe that will measure up to a ml by .2 and that kinda math my brain is just laughing at me and telling me your gonna strain your brain on this one lol

I came up with for 6 chicks would be 12 ml for both treatments, but want to double check and should I just get 50 in case need to treat later?

Last edited:
On the contrary, DE does in fact treat and prevent worms (less effective on tapeworms) in a variety of animals including chickens, cattle and dogs. Please, feel free to do your own research. Chemicals are not the only answer.
I rarely have to treat with chemicals, but this is one of those times they need it, this is first time I've dealt with this situation but do not feel like taking chances as bad as they are with them. I will do what is needed for the good of my flock I am not going to loose pullets cause of slow acting. Everyone is entitles to their opinion but don't get so pushy please. Each flock master does what they think is in the best interest of their flock.

After you worm your birds, mix buttermilk with plain boiled white rice and give it to your chickens to eat, make sure the mixture has cooled down. Buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt. It coats the intestinal lining preventing further damage by cocci. It can be used as a temporary treatment for cocci until corid can be given. It will also stop diarrhea, unlike yogurt which tends to pass through them. Boiled white rice "settles'' innards. Your chickens will scoff it up, the white rice looks like maggots to them.
Do this after each worming. You wont regret it and your chickens will love it.
I also give our dog boiled white rice sometimes when he's off his food. Rice settles their stomach and gets regular eating habits back to normal.
Thanks for the Idea, they are on day 2 of corid treatment today, will go get them some. at least don't have to worry about pulling eggs they are pullets and no where close to laying yet

day 3 we are using the .024, and they are refusing to drink it , not seeing any more bloody poops is it ok to go ahead and go to the preventative now with them not willing to take the higher dosage and no more bloody poops?

Well if they definately aren't drinking any water then yea I would try 0.012%.

0.024% is for a severe outbreak. I would guess to say your past a severe outbreak.
0.012% is for a moderate outbreak.
0.006% after day 5 of one of the above you switch to this dose for another 1 to 2 weeks.

Are you using the liquid Corid or the Corid powder, and how much are you putting in a gallon of water?

What's your weather been like - hotter the last couple of days than today?

I'm confused, LOL I thought you wormed them yesterday?
If they are thirsty, they will drink.
It was cooler last couple of days that it has been, I got the medication yesterday but as they said it's better to do it in the morning before giving them their feed I waited until this morning to dose them, sorry for the confusion there Wyorp

nice to call vets on that, I am trying to figure out how much I would need , I have 6 pullets I need to treat with the valbazen that, they are on human scale as was all I had available reading about a lb each. they sell if for 6.00 dispensing fee and .22 a ml, I ordered some in but will be 5-7 days before it gets here
as not available other than at vet here

This is why it's so important to quarantine ,Started them on corid for looks like coccidosis as just got these chicks yesterday and woke up to this and one with just some bloody, these are pullets approximately 10-12 weeks old, what would be best treatment for worms they are pretty light, they are eating and drinking. This is what was under one of the buff Orpington's when I woke up this morningView attachment 1904926
Eewww...I am going to freak out when/if I ever find something like this. I read somewhere to mix DE in their feed every couple of months to prevent this. Hope this is true cause that is what I'm relying on. Again, eeewwww!

I rarely have to treat with chemicals, but this is one of those times they need it, this is first time I've dealt with this situation but do not feel like taking chances as bad as they are with them. I will do what is needed for the good of my flock I am not going to loose pullets cause of slow acting. Everyone is entitles to their opinion but don't get so pushy please. Each flock master does what they think is in the best interest of their flock.
My response was to dawg53 that dismissed what I had written so don't get your feather ruffled.
PS. I stand by what I wrote.

In the morning they get the Valbezen treatment after clean out as food was put up tonight, they started Corid today but weren't drinking very much poops are a bit runny nowbut not much blood now and they are all more perked up, will continue for recommended days. Should I start yogurt and stuff now or give it a few days?

Back
Top Bottom