Would you advertise lost keys? Update.

Quote:
I totally agree, I smell a rat. The duplicate key is programmed through the PCM/ECM, not from another key. The code can even be changed through the OBDII port with a laptop. It's a new one on me if this is the way they are doing it now. I'll make sure I don't buy one of them. What kind of truck is it? Is the key for an actual alarm, or does it have the anti-theft chip it it. Just get them to disable the feature if need be.

Quote:
I don't think that I would. I use to put my work address on my keys because we used a PO Box and because I lost them all the time. My key for my car with out the computer and alarm and all was $400, which is why I did that. And that was most likely 15 years ago. Now I'm not even sure if I would do that.

Just an update.

DH insisted that this was not like me and tore the house apart to find the keys. I think it freaked him out that ms hyper responsible lost her keys. Anyway, he found them. They were tangled up in a sweater that I must have had in the truck and then I threw it on a table with the laundry.

Lesson learned though. I know to duplicate the keys and alarm thingies off of the masters.

Quote:
gig.gif

Good husband!!!!

i m glad you found your keys! i d like to share a story about this kinda thing.

exdh and i had a vw beetle. one day for some reason i miracleously (sp) managed to balance the set of keys on the roof and promptly forgot about them. exdh drove away( he had his own set) and somewhere down the highway hear *something* fall off the roof. i contacted the dealership to find out about replacing the key fob, $150. i was like ... yeah, i ll get back to you on that. 2 HOURS later the dealer guy calls us and said, "we found your keys." you know that keychain dealers give you? i had stuck that on my key chain, the lady who found my keys called the dealer to tell them she found keys, and since i had called already they knew who the keys belonged to and arranged a pick up for me.

So, IF you have a nice car salesman, which we did, and he rememebers you, in the future you could always ask them to be the meet up/drop off point.

eta: i always keep the dealer and/or mechanics one on my key chain now!

Last edited:
I remember a long long time ago the state would send a little mini license plate key fob with your regular license plate. You could put the fob on your keys so some kind person who found them could just drop them in a mailbox and the state could get them back to you.

Unfortunately, if you lost your keys in a parking lot and parked your car there, someone who found your keys could easily match them to the car ... so the practice was discontinued.

Back
Top Bottom