Wry neck???

iriesisnfa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Eastern Shore of Maryland
One of my chicks hatched last night and is now dry and fluffy, and making good loud and strong cherps, however, when it tries to stand he ends up falling over backwards on to his back.
I googled this and came up with wry neck maybe??? Anyone know what could be going on and if there is a way to help???

Highly unlikely at this early age. Some chicks take awhile to get their bearings. Are his legs ok? Not spraddled?

Typically with wry neck, they tuck their head forward into their chest and if anything, roll forward. I would just give him more time.

Thanks.
It seem like a issue for sure...not just getting his bearings...it is like something is wrong, wish that I knew what so I could help.
The legs seem fine, however I do have one that is doing well but is having some trouble with one leg...it is kind of trying to walk on its haunch and not its foot which makes it so it can't really walk to well. Any advice???

Funny, I had a chick hatch yesterday that did the same thing. It was trying to scoot around on it's butt for a few hours...sticking it's legs out in front. I went ahead and put "spraddle leg hobbles" on it even though I didn't think that was the problem. Within a couple of hours it was up walking around. It just need time and that little bit of help. You might try the hobbles and see if it helps.

Here are pics of how I do it. Many people use a bandaid or tape, but my chicks are silkies with feathered legs and I don't like to pull out the feathers taking the tape off. Plus, they don't even seem to know they have these hobbles on but they work great! If you don't have the tiny rubberbands you could use two tiny zip ties and put them on so they aren't too tight and use the piece of yarn between them. HINT: put the yarn on BEFORE you put the zip ties on if you use them. With the rubber bands, it's easy to put them on.

Oh...and make sure you have the chick on paper towels or even better the rubberized shelf paper. This helps them grip and keeps their legs from sliding out from under them.

9079_img_2055.jpg

9079_img_2056.jpg

9079_img_2061.jpg

Back
Top Bottom