Yellow poop?

Delaneygraces

Certified Procrastinator
5 Years
Jan 14, 2018
Illinois
7E9483CB-87A1-4DB4-B31D-FED011C9220E.jpeg
7FFAE791-1A9D-4504-BD8D-A53D8D1D51F4.jpeg
I feel like i’ve Posted in this forum a lot lately :duc But i’ve Noticed some poop that is yellow instead of white. ( I don’t talk about my free range birds a lot, only really focusing on my show birds here. But I do have about 20 free range birds that live in an actual coop and not my garage area.) But there is a group of 6 or 7 cockerels of mixed breeds that have been hangin out in the garage around noon when it gets hot, and because it’s easier to see droppings I’ve also noticed that only these 6, who venture farther out into the yard farther than the others, have started having yellow in their poop instead of white. Is this something they are eating? They are about 6 months old, and are fed a mixture of scratch grains, layer pellets, cracked corn, and wild bird seed and have been being fed this since they were 3 months old (big enough to eat it). There aren’t any yellow flowers, besides dandelions in the yard, that they could be eating. We do have bulbs that haven't bloomed, and all my birds LOVE to dig them up :rant.
Any ideas?

group of 6 or 7 cockerels of mixed breeds
I’ve also noticed that only these 6
have started having yellow in their poop instead of white. Is this something they are eating? They are about 6 months old, and are fed a mixture of scratch grains, layer pellets, cracked corn, and wild bird seed and have been being fed this since they were 3 months old
Yellow urates can sometimes be an indication of liver or kidney dysfunction. You have fed cockerels layer feed since they were 3 months of age? If they are all cockerels, they don't need the extra calcium in layer feed, I would switch them to an all flock, chick starter or grower feed.

[QUOTE="Wyorp Rock, post: 21454229, member: 380647”]You have fed cockerels layer feed since they were 3 months of age?[/QUOTE]
Approximately, they still had access to chick starter but the other stuff was still out for the older birds, and when the younger ones stopped eating starter I stopped feeding it. I’ll take the later out, and see if things help. Thank you so much for your reply!

I would try to narrow down which one is laying the yellow urates to see if there are any liver symptoms. Are you sure it is from a cockerel and not a hen? I agree with @Wyorp Rock that the cockerels should not be eating layer feed and scratch is like candy to them. A good flock raiser or all flock feed would be better for them. A handful of scratch once in awhile for a treat is all they should get.

Back
Top Bottom