Yogurt??? Thoughts??

medstarbabe30

Hatching
Feb 13, 2017
Ok, I've seen a post about how yogurt will help increase the production of eggs. But then, someone posted that it's false and yogurt is actually harmful to chickens. I'm confused now. I want to see a increase in my eggs, but don't want to harm them either. Thoughts please?? This is what I found posted....... Please be advised that feeding yogurt to hens will NOT, can NOT and does NOT increase egg production!

The truth is: chickens are not naturally equipped to digest milk sugars and yogurt can cause diarrhea leading to further health problems.

The primary influences on egg production in hens are proper nutrition, lighting conditions and stress. To optimize egg production, feed your flock a complete commercial layer feed, clean water in clean containers, lots of clean, dry living space and practice good biosecurity.

There are NO SHORTCUTS to optimizing egg production and hen health should always be the foremost objective in caring for backyard chickens.

edited to add: Some yogurt in small amounts occasionally will not hurt a chicken, but poultry probiotics are a much better strategy if improved digestive health is the objective.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Yogurt isn't the best for chickens, some people say not to feed it to them at all. I've done it once or twice, they loved it, but I don't think it should be used to try and increase egg production (not sure if it actually does help). Sorry if my answer it confusing
tongue.png
. I hope you enjoy BYC!

G’Day from down under medstarbabe30
frow.gif
Welcome!

I also would not be giving my gals yoghurt on a regular basis. They get some at Christmas because they love it and I have used it when one of them has had crop issues.

Just my humble opinion but if it increased egg production you would see yoghurt factories popping up next to every commercial egg production company
wink.png

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
smile.png

Greetings from Kansas, medstarbabe, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! I have heard both sides of the yogurt debate and usually steer away from the debate. I don't feed yogurt and never have as my hens seem healthy. Thank for you posting and for joining BYC!!

Many of my friends have sent me that Facebook chicken and yogurt ad. I am grateful they are all so happy to help but most don't raise chickens and do no research before sending or offering things like that and get offended when I tell them it's not correct.

My grandma used to feed her flock whey all the time and even buttermilk, as she did the hogs as well. Feeding yogurt doesn't improve production but it sure can't hurt the gut health of the bird so if you want to feed them yogurt, go ahead. I wouldn't make it an every day event, as it's not cost effective.

Why not just feed fermented feed instead? Doesn't cost you a dime and is more than healthy for your flock, not to mention that it increases overall nutrient uptake, which actually DOES help with laying production.

Most of the people telling you to not feed this or that as it's harmful to the chicken have never tested the actual food they are campaigning against. Until they've tried it for a good length of time with their own flocks and can accurately state that it was harmful to their health, they truly don't have a leg to stand on...they are just repeating something someone else has said and that can go on forever as each person who knows nothing tells it to other people who know nothing, but are eager to pass along this non-knowledge as if it were fact.

I volunteer at a food bank and regularly bring home out of date yogurt. They aren't crazy about it and it takes them all day to polish off a container. No change in production, appetite, egg shells, poop... Against my nature to toss it in the garbage so if they'll eat it I'll give it to them.

The only use for giving yogurt seems to be when baby chicks need encouragement to eat, or a bird is ailing and it will not try anything else.

Back
Top Bottom