Young Golden Comets Laying Eggs

grintschik

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2017
PA
Hey guys! I have 4 golden comets, two OEG silver duckwing bantams, and two barred rocks, one of which is a rooster. So, the bantams and goldens are a couple weeks older than the barred rock, they hatched on March 9th. At least two of them are laying already, as well as my bantam is starting to do the 'squat'. Is this too early? Are they going to be okay? Any signs I should keep an eye out for? They are around 16 weeks old. One of my reds, the first one to lay has a little bit of a dirty bum but it's not matter or anything. She and another red have been laying for around a week. I have 7 eggs between the two of them. Also, they are still on starter feed. Since they're laying now, should I switch to layer feed or continue starter or mix the two together? Let me know! Thank You!

Jessica

Layer feed is actually bad for roosters and can decrease their lifespan. Instead of layer feed, if you care about how long your rooster lives, you can feed grower feed, flock raiser, or all flock with a side of oyster shell for the hens.

Back
Top Bottom