November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

@Faraday40 , I thought you'd like to hear that I've quoted your science experiment hatching eggs from the various sources. Anyone I tell is fascinated!
The data was not as exciting as we had hoped. The backyard eggs got the best results (several trials were 100%). The farmer's market & Craigslist eggs came in second. The store eggs were pretty pathetic. Several trials were 0%, but we did hatch out a few chicks.

Of course one of DD's fav chickens came from this experiment. She finally got her silkie! Below is a pic of her bringing in her spoiled wet silkie (named Gilfie) to warm up after an April rain shower.

I jokingly told her that if any of the silkies were white, I'd dye them pink. (I dislike boring white chickens.) She took it to mean that we would buy a silkie & dye it. Look what we now have:

Above pic is an 8wk old next to a 1.5 wk old.

Meanwhile DS adopted one of DD's chicks for his own. This pullet enjoys sitting on his lap & watching TV. She also pecks at the tablet when playing video games. It was a match made in heaven! Possible names: Minecraft, Terraria, or Chizzy.

Some more pics just for fun:
This chick has looked both male & female for over 4 weeks! We decided to allow it to explore its feminine side. Here's "Jewel"'s photo shoot.

8wks

I'm finally thinking it's female. Mostly because her youngest brothers have bigger combs & wattles at 4 weeks than she has now at 8wks.

The data was not as exciting as we had hoped. The backyard eggs got the best results (several trials were 100%). The farmer's market & Craigslist eggs came in second. The store eggs were pretty pathetic. Several trials were 0%, but we did hatch out a few chicks.

Of course one of DD's fav chickens came from this experiment. She finally got her silkie! Below is a pic of her bringing in her spoiled wet silkie (named Gilfie) to warm up after an April rain shower.

I jokingly told her that if any of the silkies were white, I'd dye them pink. (I dislike boring white chickens.) She took it to mean that we would buy a silkie & dye it. Look what we now have:

Above pic is an 8wk old next to a 1.5 wk old.

Meanwhile DS adopted one of DD's chicks for his own. This pullet enjoys sitting on his lap & watching TV. She also pecks at the tablet when playing video games. It was a match made in heaven! Possible names: Minecraft, Terraria, or Chizzy.

Some more pics just for fun:
This chick has looked both male & female for over 4 weeks! We decided to allow it to explore its feminine side. Here's "Jewel"'s photo shoot.

8wks

I'm finally thinking it's female. Mostly because her youngest brothers have bigger combs & wattles at 4 weeks than she has now at 8wks.
That is altogether TOO CUTE!

The data was not as exciting as we had hoped. The backyard eggs got the best results (several trials were 100%). The farmer's market & Craigslist eggs came in second. The store eggs were pretty pathetic. Several trials were 0%, but we did hatch out a few chicks. Of course one of DD's fav chickens came from this experiment. She finally got her silkie! Below is a pic of her bringing in her spoiled wet silkie (named Gilfie) to warm up after an April rain shower. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] I jokingly told her that if any of the silkies were white, I'd dye them pink. (I dislike boring white chickens.) She took it to mean that we would buy a silkie & dye it. Look what we now have: Above pic is an 8wk old next to a 1.5 wk old. Meanwhile DS adopted one of DD's chicks for his own. This pullet enjoys sitting on his lap & watching TV. She also pecks at the tablet when playing video games. It was a match made in heaven! Possible names: Minecraft, Terraria, or Chizzy. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Some more pics just for fun: This chick has looked both male & female for over 4 weeks! We decided to allow it to explore its feminine side. Here's "Jewel"'s photo shoot. [COLOR=DAA520]8wks[/COLOR] I'm finally thinking it's female. Mostly because her youngest brothers have bigger combs & wattles at 4 weeks than she has now at 8wks.
Awe, I love it!

Well since this group seems to enjoy a little fun, I'd like to share my funny story of the day.

My kids came along when I taught a preschool class last week. It was a great time & DD had Bubbles do her psychic chicken card trick. She's got a serous fan club around town. (Both the hen & DD) My youngest son wanted to make the craft the other teacher had prepared, so he did. I thought it looked cute & hung it up at home.

Today DS asks me, "Why did you hang that up?"
Me "Because you made it, and it's very good."
DS "Mom, you know that poster's impossible, right?."
Me "What do you mean?"
DS "Duh! There's no rooster, so the egg's not fertile. It would never hatch!"

He's right!
lau.gif

Two college educated women didn't even think about it, but a 7 yr old points out the obvious.

Tomorrow's hatch day. I can't wait to hear what the kids will have to say.

Well since this group seems to enjoy a little fun, I'd like to share my f[COLOR=333333]unny story of the day.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]My kids came along when I taught a preschool class last week. It was a great time & DD had Bubbles do her psychic chicken card trick. She's got a serous fan club around town. (Both the hen & DD) My youngest son wanted to make the craft the other teacher had prepared, so he did. I thought it looked cute & hung it up at home.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Today DS asks me, "Why did you hang that up?"[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Me "Because you made it, and it's very good."[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]DS "Mom, you know that poster's impossible, right?."[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Me "What do you mean?"[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]DS "Duh! There's no rooster, so the egg's not fertile. It would never hatch!"[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]He's right! :lau [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Two college educated women didn't even think about it, but a 7 yr old points out the obvious.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Tomorrow's hatch day. I can't wait to hear what the kids will have to say. [/COLOR]
LOL

It's taking me a while to get used to the new format of BYC, but I stumbled across a "watched thread" list & found my old Nov hatch reunion buddies.

Now that it's spring, I'm sure everyone is busy hatching baby chicks. (Unlike NOV when it's only the brave few who would dare attempt it. LOL) So feel free to share your pics of a recent hatch as well as pics from those Nov/Dec babies.

Here's a great "Mother's Day" pic of my broody who hatched a few eggs & then adopted all the incubator chicks as well. I had a misfit batch of 3 Spitzhaubens, 1 orp, & 2 quail already in the big brooder. Rather than move them, I added the mama & her new chicks. The broody didn't mind & adopted them too! Then a classroom teacher had a lonely only chick, so guess where it ended up? My hen has chicks ranging from 1-6 weeks & even had 2 quail for a while. We've been selling the chicks, so she'll be down to a manageable number soon and then will be allowed to free range with them.
IMG_0657.jpg

DD hatched & fell in love with a silkie. It's very spoiled.
gilfie.jpg IMG_0333.jpg
DS goes everywhere with his "Special Sussex." He lost 3 teeth in a short time, so now the name sounds like "Special Sauce."
:lau:lau
IMG_0301.jpg IMG_0576.JPG

Our first "crested" - ever - bird... don't remember which hatch along this one was from, but her name is Marge. Does she seriously look like a lady from the 60s who just got out from under the hair dryer?
2017-05-22 19.39.27.jpg

Actually, now that I'm thinking back, November was my very first hatchalong - so this big boy was hatched then! We also still have his sister and one other backyard blend still with us. Everyone else found new homes!
20170522_192308.jpg

Back
Top Bottom