San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

just catching up on this thread so sorry Deb about the goats, you have lost a lot out there lately maybe because it's so quiet the Predators know there's no one around.
hi just got finished building a shelter today so I can bring my goats home I'm glad I don't have any mountain lions around here. any tips would be greatly appreciated

I'm building a new coop. I have very strong 4"x4" fence holes in a large opening in my new coop. It starts 3' up from the ground. Do you think it will be ok against predators. It's so strong nothing could bend it. What can get through 4" holes 3' up?

I'm so sorry to hear of both of your losses. It makes you sick to think about it.

Last edited:
just catching up on this thread so sorry Deb about the goats, you have lost a lot out there lately maybe because it's so quiet the Predators know there's no one around.
hi just got finished building a shelter today so I can bring my goats home I'm glad I don't have any mountain lions around here. any tips would be greatly appreciated
yep.... I am devastated..... I am told by others I need to have dogs about to help keep predators at bay.

Both mountain lions and bobcat can go up and over a dog kennel. The only passive solution is hot wire. I don't have kids to worry about getting shocked. I am used to being around it with horse fencing. Believe me The shock causes you to Drop everything and step back convulsively. I was petting my other mare one time over the fence and got shocked in my armpit then it went through my fingers and shocked her. we were standing on damp pasture grass. We both leaped back snorting.

I cant keep a dog up there without me being there. So I am hoping to get back on a three time a week schedual or spend the weekends up there.

deb

We used hot wire when I was a kid for the hog pens.i guess when I was little I grabbed ahold of it and it didn't shock me. Scared my uncle so he ran over to grab me and it zapped him good. I don't remember it but I've heard the story a lot.lol

A solar hot wire system works very well. I had my poultry (turkeys, ducks, chickens) on some acreage in de Luz and had a coyote problem. They figured out how to dig under the dig skirts (backed up and started digging about 3 feet from the fence and got under the leading edge of the skirt) and killed about 20 birds. I had a solar hot wire unit but hadn't gotten it installed yet.

I left the bodies they didn't take in the pen, and moved all the birds into a temporary pen, then got the hot wire installed. They came back, I could see where one started to try to dig and I'm sure the wire hit it because there we only a few dig marks. I also found where they dug under the perimeter fence and filled that back in after I let them have their one return visit to learn about the wire.

They haven't been back since. I am living on the property now and have dogs so I'm sure that helps, but there was a good 6 month period between the attack and when I moved out there with no more issues. Actually they avoid my property completely now, although I hear them all around singing at night.

Anyone local need hatching eggs? I am up to my ears in chicks, so no hatching for me right now. 13 total, all purebred.

5 silver penciled rocks
3 salmon favorelles
3 blue/black LF Cochin
2 Swedish flower

Pm me if interested. For sale or trade :)

Those goslings are so cute!!!

I have silver pheasants and golden pheasants hatching if anybody is looking for pheasant babies....I only will have the straight run chicks available. I may sell my trio of two year old Silvers if I find the right home for them :)

I also have some extra adult Guineas and soon will have plenty of Guinea eggs.

Three adult peacocks with great color genes available.

The kids sell their fertile d'Uccle, Sebright and Polish eggs....

And the list goes on and on !
big_smile.png

Sorry to hear about the losses.

The coyotes have returned to the suburbs and we're currently paranoid since the cats have been coming home with more and more injuries.
Not overtly worried about the chickens yet, since they stay in their run and coop but I am concerned that our layers of hardware cloth won't be able to keep things out. Also, making plans to revamp the coop over the summer since I'll only be at school for 4 hours instead of the usual 8.

Back
Top Bottom