Your bird may not be in this current situation if she wasn't feed so many treats. Getting a proper complete diet does wonders.
Hmm, could’ve had me. I was always told to throw them a treat out every couple of days, like a handful of grain, or let them eat bugs and worms. I kinda figured eating Layena Layer Pellets gets old, especially since they lack the sufficient amount of calcium. So much for balanced. Oh well 🤷‍♂️ can’t have everyone respect your methods.

Hmm, could’ve had me. I was always told to throw them a treat out every couple of days, like a handful of grain, or let them eat bugs and worms. I kinda figured eating Layena Layer Pellets gets old, especially since they lack the sufficient amount of calcium. So much for balanced. Oh well 🤷‍♂️ can’t have everyone respect your methods.
You can't be serious...are you?

A layer type feed has the proper amount of calcium.

I am 100% sure that if you are feeding your birds the way you mention in this thread they are not getting a complete balanced diet.

I am 200% sure that not getting a balanced diet leads to death much sooner than a properly fed bird.

You can't be serious...are you?

A layer type feed has the proper amount of calcium.

I am 100% sure that if you are feeding your birds the way you mention in this thread they are not getting a complete balanced diet.

I am 200% sure that not getting a balanced diet leads to death much sooner than a properly fed bird.
Alright, and here’s where assumptions and misunderstandings always leads... a debate.
1. If my layer feed, that I feed all my chickens, had the proper calcium, then why the soft shells and the vet recommendation of added oyster shell and protein after a vet visit when a chicken had soft bones and they all had soft broken eggs?
2. I never said I feed them nothing but snacks and treats. I give them a “well balanced diet” consisting of layena later pellets, adding crushed oyster shell for extra calcium, and black oil sunflower seeds to help with molting hens. If my word isn’t good enough, I was told to do so by a vet.
3. While I agree, I highly doubt a handful of black oil sunflower seeds every couple of days for a flock of 7 chickens will cause one to be bullied and have a black scabby head.
I merely replied the way I did because I felt you were making me up to be an idiot. Feeding them French fries????

No they won't but if feed too many or often they will cause your bird to be overweight.
Guess eat happens to overweight birds?

Get a necropsy done by your state lab if you don't want to believe me.
A handful of black oil sunflower seeds every couple of days for a flock of 7 birds during molt won’t make them all fat in 3 days. The molt started a couple days ago, I did too. Hmm...

Bullying and not eating enough. She applauded me for the added calcium and the treats. Thanks. 🙄
edit: the occasional treats.

are all your birds Golden Comets? Golden Comets are bred for egg-laying and their egg-laying days end pretty quickly. Due to them being such prolific layers, sometimes a layer feed isn't enough with how often they lay their eggs. Calcium shouldn't be mixed in with their food though and should be given on the side in a separate container. I'm not sure if you have any boys, but too much calcium for anything but a laying hen can cause problems down the line.

If it's been cold where you're at, her comb could be black due to frostbite as well. If it's getting pretty chilly, I've always heard some petroleum jelly on their comb can help keep frostbite at bay, but the best way to keep frostbite out is to make sure no breeze can get them while they roost. Some might use artificial heat, but I've been seeing a lot of coop fires and a friend of mine had his brooder area burn down. Poor babies. :(

Another cause for a black or blue comb can be heart issues, which generally comes from them being overweight. If the vet said that it was from bullying though, it's definitely just that! But it's something to look out for in the future, especially if you decide to expand your flock!

Back
Top Bottom