Pics
(Pictures provided below.) One of my 7 laying hens has been extremely lethargic and listless for the past couple of days. I first noticed it when I let them out the other day to roam while supervised (I have a large caged in run I keep them in, adequate feed and water). After they all ran out, they played a little. I was working on planting collards. I noticed she, unlike the others who were energetic and very curious, was sitting beside a log almost like she was sleeping, head drooped down. Fast forward 2-3 days, I went to check on the chickens to let them out again. I noticed one was lying under the ramp that leads up into the coop, just chilling. I throw some black oil sunflower seed out, and they all eat it. She gets up very slowly and starts working her way over, begins pecking a few, and a few of the others begin bullying her, and biting at her kneel and her waddle. I can’t tolerate bullying, and the only thing nearby was a (weak) jet hose, So, (forgive me) I sprayed the ones bullying her to get them away as quickly as possible. I watched her for a bit while she was alone (the others were afraid of the hose I had in my hand :lau) and she just stood there... I knew something was up. When I first noticed her acting strange, I suspected coccidiosis and treated them with Corid (I've treated coccidiosis before with my chickens). So I checked on them a few times a day, made sure everything was alright, And now we’re here today. She was standing in the run, basically falling asleep right where she stood, head drooped down. I decided to separate her (I wanted to observe her first), put her in a plastic tote, gave her food and water. I’ve checked on her frequently today and, she drank water out of a small cup a few times but hasn’t seemed to drink much if any of the water I gave her (I did show her the water and food), or eat much of the food. I checked on her, and I noticed something disturbing. A simple google search found something rather disturbing and worrying as well.... I’ll be active on this thread and will post pictures and answer questions, I just need help fast. On photos 1-4 you notice a darkened head, a dark waddle with ooze (not blood I checked), yellow poop, lethargy, she’s sleeping, had food and water. It could just be me panicking but the darkness has seemed to get worse...
0BDD2643-1212-47EF-A744-23F274CCB063.jpeg
49254F9D-A619-48AA-8171-A1DF4D549430.jpeg
184EE681-3F1F-445A-8CCD-145DEBA79ADE.jpeg
7291F5D7-4A59-4FEE-87FD-B99AE0F9595F.jpeg

Update: I noticed sticky ooze coming out of her mouth.. I can’t tell if it’s her mouth or nose... I noticed it when I showed her the water earlier..

-Update 2: I’ve given her a good amount of water... she’s drinking quite a bit... which is useful as I have probiotics, acidifiers, and electrolytes in it. Unfortunately some of the symptoms of blackhead are increased thirst, decreased appetite, lethargy, and, well, black head.. Not trying to pick a disease and base her symptoms off of the disease to look for problems per se, but that’s the closest thing I can find. I’ve given her water and she has stood up now and she seems slightly more energetic... prayers appreciated.
image.jpg

—Update 3: she ate a few bites of food from my hand. I’m giving her that cooked egg now. Fries (no oil),cut into fine pieces. Put some small seeds (black oil sunflower) in with her food, better something then nothing, the protein will do her good...

Last edited:
I would be surprised if this turns out to be blackhead, since it is very rare in chickens. They do not get a black head. There are so may other illnesses that cause lethargy and weakness. She may have been bullied and kept from drinking and eating, or she may be weakened from a reproductive infection or disorder. Coccidiosis can sometimes affect older hens, so taking in some of her fresh droppings from tonight would be good.

How old is your hen and does she still lay eggs? Could the comb color and wounds, just be from bullying and pecking?
Yellow droppings can sometimes be from having a reproductive infection. It could be that she is not eating enough, and that is why she is lethargic and weak. I would remove her, and try to get her drinking some electrolytes or gatorade by holding a small scoop up to her beak. Offer wet chicken feed soaked in water and a little cooked egg. Blackhead is more of a disease of turkeys, but not impossible for a chicken to have. If you see the vet, let us know what they have to say. Be sure to ask them to test her poop for worms and parasites.

Can you get some better photos of her with some light?
To me it looks like her comb and the back of her head is dirty - see if that wipes off with a damp cloth.

Check her crop first thing in the morning and let us know if it's empty before she's had anything to eat/drink.

Does she lay eggs? How old is she?

You mention the others bullying her, she may be being kept from food water. I would add some electrolytes to her water, look her over for injury and lice/mites. While you're at it, feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or feeling of fluid.

W.R.

How old is your hen and does she still lay eggs? Could the comb color and wounds, just be from bullying and pecking?
Yellow droppings can sometimes be from having a reproductive infection. It could be that she is not eating enough, and that is why she is lethargic and weak. I would remove her, and try to get her drinking some electrolytes or gatorade by holding a small scoop up to her beak. Offer wet chicken feed soaked in water and a little cooked egg. Blackhead is more of a disease of turkeys, but not impossible for a chicken to have. If you see the vet, let us know what they have to say. Be sure to ask them to test her poop for worms and parasites.
I got my hens as 1 week old chicks April 7 2018. Over 2 years old. Out of 7 I get 2 - 3 eggs a day..
The color could potentially be from bullying. They did grab her on the waddle and peck the back of her head there so it could be major bruising. I already have her removed, she’s in a tote. I have access to electrolytes in Hydro Hen powder, so I will give her that. She does have pellet feed so I will mix it with water and give her little at a time. I appreciate your reply, I will keep everyone informed!

I agree with advice by Eggcessive and Wyorp Rock. I noticed your hen is molting. Last year my hen nearly starved herself to death during molt. I hadn't been handling her because of molt and she suddenly became weak, tired and even a little wobbly. When I went to check on her during the night, she had fallen from the roost and was sprawled on the coop floor. I immediately brought her inside and provided a comfy carrier with lots of warmth. I provided baby bird formula and she gobbled it up. After a few days and nights inside with her own food and warmth, she was ready to go back out with the flock. My point is, are you sure she was eating when she was with the flock? Molters will sometimes shy away from the crowd.

It may be dirty, but I mean the color... it got worse over time and the waddle was like... oozing
I mentioned earlier she does not lay eggs. 7 hens and only 2 lay eggs. I got them April 7 2018 at 1 week old, so over 2 years.
The hens were in fact going through with mites, but I’ve treated them and I haven’t seen any symptoms really
Wattle oozing sounds like injury. :idunno

I must have missed that she wasn't laying eggs. A 2yr old hen that's not laying eggs unless she's molting, I would suspect has a reproductive issue which can be very common and cause a decline.

I would re-check for mites and lice again. :)

I just checked on her and her waddle is dark still. I felt it and it’s hard to the touch, almost like a massive scab or a burnt potato chip. The red part of her waddle is fine... how do I check for lice and mites?

I checked her and I’ve noticed a bubble on her chest where her crop should be. I felt it gently and she didn’t seem to like it but she will let me touch her anywhere else... what is it??
She’s eating and drinking a little... she pooped... her butt looks dirty, not sure how to handle that... she’s sleepy (spots on her beak are from the egg).. I felt the bump on her chest where her crop is, could it just be an empty crop? I’m so worried and confused and baffled...
From what I can see her wattles look fine. Her comb, I would wipe that and the back of her head off with a damp cloth. I would also wipe out her nostrils.
She's dirty, some of that could be you're turning the hose on hens when they are picking at one another, but that's neither here nor there are the moment.
Place her in a shallow tub of warm soapy water, just enough water to wash off her legs and the nastiness off underneath her and her vent.
Dry her well with a towel, then use a blow dryer to finish drying her. She's not feeling well so she needs to be dried well and not chilled.

While you are giving her a clean up - feel of her abdomen below the vent between her legs for swelling or feeling of fluid. Look for bugs around her vent, under her wings, along her neck, etc. You will need to lift the feathers to look for bugs crawling around on her skin.

Smell of her breath, does it stink? If she's not liking you feeling of her crop (right side of her breast) then she may also have a crop problem going on. I would check that area tonight when you put her to bed feel of it, see if there's food/water in it. Take out food/water tonight when it's lights out. Re-check her crop again in the morning before you give her food/water - the crop should be empty/flat. If it's not, then let us know.

Hard to know what's going on with her. It does look like she may be molting, but you will have to tell us if you see evidence of that. I would suspect she's got some reproductive issues, she's being picked on and kept from food/water. Crop problems are yet to be seen, you are going to let us know about that.

1602694723297.png

Back
Top Bottom