1 Sick Chick, 1 Crooked Foot & 1 Wing Issue

Is she able to move away from heat if she gets too hot? I would be careful not to overheat.
You can try putting the heating pad inside the basket, cover it with a thick towel to give her more warmth. This way the plastic from the basket isn't blocking so much of the warmth.

She cannot move much unfortunately, just sort of flops around when she’s uncomfortable, so maybe I will just make sure the house stays warm.

The other chick with the crooked foot is also seeming a bit lethargic, but I’m not sure if it’s just because she has trouble walking. The other chicks are full of energy and she is just sitting around. We tried booties yesterday but she had them off by morning. We are thinking of isolating her too.

I'm hopeful:hugs
Please keep us posted.

Thank you again for your advice! She’s now able to sit up, with the help of leaning on the wall. I can’t believe her progress :) I attached a picture.

We finished the 3rd dose of the concentrated corid yesterday. Should we continue with the corid water for a few more days?

Attachments

• AB8408B7-CD21-4D13-AF52-A5C4DD339261.jpeg
    AB8408B7-CD21-4D13-AF52-A5C4DD339261.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 5
Thank you again for your advice! She’s now able to sit up, with the help of leaning on the wall. I can’t believe her progress :) I attached a picture.

We finished the 3rd dose of the concentrated corid yesterday. Should we continue with the corid water for a few more days?
I'm glad to hear she is improving!
Normally the concentrated solution is given for 3 days, but I don't believe it would hurt her for a couple of more days.
I would keep the Corid water going for the full 7 days.

Are her toes crooked as well or is it just the way she is sitting? Any swelling of the joints?

She is just adorable, I hope she continues to get better!

I'm glad to hear she is improving!
Normally the concentrated solution is given for 3 days, but I don't believe it would hurt her for a couple of more days.
I would keep the Corid water going for the full 7 days.

Are her toes crooked as well or is it just the way she is sitting? Any swelling of the joints?

She is just adorable, I hope she continues to get better!

Thanks! I think it’s just how she’s holding them, she is able to make them straight. I don’t see any swelling but it’s hard to tell what’s normal. Her chest bone feels really pronounced, but I think that must be because she lost a lot of weight when not eating.

When I checked on her last she was standing with no support, and is really determined to walk but just can’t do it yet.

I will keep the corid water going!

Attachments

• 7B730E4D-CF25-4C60-BCAF-67AD7AD746E5.jpeg
    7B730E4D-CF25-4C60-BCAF-67AD7AD746E5.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks! I think it’s just how she’s holding them, she is able to make them straight. I don’t see any swelling but it’s hard to tell what’s normal. Her chest bone feels really pronounced, but I think that must be because she lost a lot of weight when not eating.

When I checked on her last she was standing with no support, and is really determined to walk but just can’t do it yet.

I will keep the corid water going!
Sounds like she is making progress!
Is she eating now? You may have to encourage her a little, wet chick starter and a little scrambled eggs is sometimes enticing.

She is eating well now thankfully and seems to be healthy besides her inability to walk. I still can’t tell if it’s an issue with her feet or she’s just not strong enough yet.

Our crooked foot chick is struggling to walk also. She’s always laying down, but seems to be able to hobble over to the food and water when she needs it. I’m wondering if this was all caused by a nutritional deficiency from when I changed their food. :( we tried the booties for a couple of days but she refused to walk with them.

She is eating well now thankfully and seems to be healthy besides her inability to walk. I still can’t tell if it’s an issue with her feet or she’s just not strong enough yet.

Our crooked foot chick is struggling to walk also. She’s always laying down, but seems to be able to hobble over to the food and water when she needs it. I’m wondering if this was all caused by a nutritional deficiency from when I changed their food. :( we tried the booties for a couple of days but she refused to walk with them.
Once she is done with the Corid, get her on some poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) or you can give her 1/4tablet of human B-Complex daily for a week. Wait until you are finished with the Corid though.

She may have some leg issues, sometimes it's hard to know. Do you have a photo of her standing on her own?
The one with crooked feet, that looks like a genetic deformity - could be from improper incubation or even parent stock deficiency. I don't believe you had anything to do with that. Are you offering vitamins to her that has B2? Crooked toes are different from "curled toes". Most of the time Crooked ones cannot be fixed. Curled ones if caught early can sometimes be corrected, but not always.
She may learn to adapt, but sadly sometimes if there is an "external" deformity, there could also be internal development problems too and chicks fail to thrive.

I know you are doing everything you can for them. I hate to say it, but time will tell how this all comes out. Just keep doing what you're doing:hugs

Back
Top Bottom