10wk old lavender Araucana are they boys or girls? Please help

You sure hatched a lot of cockerels, you have my sympathy!

Regarding the future breeder Lavender Araucana cockerel: One of them has very crooked toes, I would not choose this one as it might be hereditary.

ETA: I mean this one

1608120930180.png

You sure hatched a lot of cockerels, you have my sympathy!

Regarding the future breeder Lavender Araucana cockerel: One of them has very crooked toes, I would not choose this one as it might be hereditary.
Thank you I feel bad now because I hadn't noticed that! I have had my older 4 girls for about a year now but I hatched my first 12 only 10 weeks ago and my 2nd 6 only 5 weeks ago and as it happens Im begining to think my 2nd lot are at least 4 males also:rolleyes:

Thank you I love Chilli he is the one with the tufts but I'm concerned now because I was told it is a fatal gene that causes it and I'm not sure what that means if I hatched chickens from him

Two not-tufted parents will give only not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x not-tufted gives half tufted chicks, half not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x tufted will give about 1/2 tufted chicks, 1/4 not-tufted, and 1/4 that die before hatch because they inherited the tufted gene from both parents and that is lethal.

I also see that some have crests on their heads, and some do not. I think Australian Araucanas are supposed to, but you should probably check that (I'm in the US, and I know the standard is different here.)

Thank you I feel bad now because I hadn't noticed that! I have had my older 4 girls for about a year now but I hatched my first 12 only 10 weeks ago and my 2nd 6 only 5 weeks ago and as it happens Im begining to think my 2nd lot are at least 4 males also:rolleyes:

Did your chicks hatch normally on day 21-22 or were they early?

If this was your first time incubating and hatching, you could inspect the feet of all these chicks, as sometimes with too high temperatures the chicks can result with crooked toes. this would then be caused by incorrect incubating and not be hereditary.

I borrowed an incubator it was a first for me but I really am falling inlove with these gorgeous birds

I hatched my first 12 only 10 weeks ago and my 2nd 6 only 5 weeks ago and as it happens Im begining to think my 2nd lot are at least 4 males also:rolleyes:

Then you'll have lots of choices when deciding which one to keep for breeding :)
It's hard when you have to choose between males that have different good traits--with that many, maybe one will be good all over.

Two not-tufted parents will give only not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x not-tufted gives half tufted chicks, half not-tufted chicks.

Tufted x tufted will give about 1/2 tufted chicks, 1/4 not-tufted, and 1/4 that die before hatch because they inherited the tufted gene from both parents and that is lethal.

I also see that some have crests on their heads, and some do not. I think Australian Araucanas are supposed to, but you should probably check that (I'm in the US, and I know the standard is different here.)
Oh wow thank you so much for that info too. This sight is great you are also so lovely and helpful thank uou:love

Back
Top Bottom