11Mt old Very sick

aflockofmyown

Hatching
5 Years
May 5, 2014
HEEEELPPPPP!!!
I have an 11 month old Americauna hen. Over the last month, her health has gone down. At first we thought she might be egg bound so I brought her inside overnight and gave her a warm bath and hand fed her some yogurt. She had yellowish runny mucus with a little white matter. Over the course of the weekend she seemed to get better and ran with the flock just fine for awhile. Over the past two days, her energy levels have completely dropped out, she has lost weight, comb has turned pink, now she's laying on her side slightly wheezing with eyes closed. She seems to have muccus in her mouth, wet feathers around her eyes, and will only stand if I'm holding her up. We never treated our flock for Mareks but the lady we got her from was a regular breeder. I've had other chickens die but most of them were eaten by other animals so I'm not familiar with the internal illnesses for them. Please help with any advice you can give.

Thanks,
In need of help

Im sorry to say IV got a similar problem...my ee hen was egg bound but I think one mighta broke inside of her...she passed a stinky blockage but had what. I thought was poo stuck to her bum...but when I tried to pick it off it felt like rubber egg yolk and was StUck to her insides...bit of pink tissue came out of her..so I let go and it went back in.
what antibodics do I need to use. I'm injections

HEEEELPPPPP!!!
I have an 11 month old Americauna hen. Over the last month, her health has gone down. At first we thought she might be egg bound so I brought her inside overnight and gave her a warm bath and hand fed her some yogurt. She had yellowish runny mucus with a little white matter. Over the course of the weekend she seemed to get better and ran with the flock just fine for awhile. Over the past two days, her energy levels have completely dropped out, she has lost weight, comb has turned pink, now she's laying on her side slightly wheezing with eyes closed. She seems to have muccus in her mouth, wet feathers around her eyes, and will only stand if I'm holding her up. We never treated our flock for Mareks but the lady we got her from was a regular breeder. I've had other chickens die but most of them were eaten by other animals so I'm not familiar with the internal illnesses for them. Please help with any advice you can give.

Thanks,
In need of help

I got Marek's from a pullet I bought from a breeder.
It does not sound like Marek's.
Can you do an internal exam ?

If she's wheezing, I might just go ahead with a course of injectable Pen G. I'm not real informative about respiratory problems, but I find it pretty important that you said she hasn't been right for a month.

Thank you for the replies but unfortunately she did not make it through the night. I will be sure to keep a closer eye on the rest of my flock.

Im sorry for your loss...I can understand how you must of felt..IV got one in the same boat

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. As a new chicken owner several years ago, I have lost a few birds out of a large flock over several years. So I have started doing necropsies on my chickens who die, just to learn what might have killed them. Coccidiosis could have been a problem with your hen, or reproductive problems, blocked gizzard, or any number of things. A professional necropsy on a refrigerated, but not frozen body can always be performed by your state vet to help find a cause of death. Here is a link: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml

Back
Top Bottom