175 in three days??? How sad...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by teach1rusl, Jun 2, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'm sitting here watching the news. They did a short segment about the local humane society, and how they were waiving adoption fees on dogs over 6 months old or larger than 25 pounds. They said they'd takin in about 175 animals just over the Memorial Day weekend!! That's both mind boggling and depressing, because adoptions are never on par with the number of unwanted animals. [​IMG] I hate that there are so many unwanted dogs and cats out there - please spay or neuter your pet! And encourage people you know to do so too…

2. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Kudos to your humane society for dropping the fees! If more rescues and shelters would do that I firmly believe there would be a lot more good dogs saved!

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:but shelter staff know that if a person can not pay a small shelter fee, theres no way they can pay feed and vet bills!

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Quote:Totally agree. [​IMG]

5. theghostandmrchicken

theghostandmrchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    It is a tradegy that many dogs and cats are without a home. However (I believe) that the real problem is that people go to the puppy mills BEFORE they go to the shelter.

I do know that people purposely overbreed dogs and cats, beyond their natural order, in order to make more $$$$.

6. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:but shelter staff know that if a person can not pay a small shelter fee, theres no way they can pay feed and vet bills!

I have to say though, our shelter costs $75 for a cat, and $125 for a dog. That's if they aren't fixed. Luckily they had a time when cats that were fixed were $25, that's when we got our cat jingles. <3 my Jingy!

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    What needs to be done is simple. Make spay/neuter free or a nation wide set price no mater the size, dog or cat, male or female.
    Otherwise, it will always be too much for a lot of people.

8. theghostandmrchicken

theghostandmrchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Quote:Would you be willing to give up your freedom of a capalist market for a socilast/communist one?

Just asking the question and not expecting an answer.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

I dont think thats true...
    Maybe some people just dont want to pay to buy an animal? They can feed and vet it fine, but simply dont feel like they should pay to own an animal.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I agree..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by