2 week old CROSSBEAK Polish Chick -- Need advice

Shinusaur

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
Minnesota, USA
I bought 19 chicks from a store that gets birds from Hoovers Hatchery.

Out of the last group I bought, I ended up with a crossbeak. I didn't notice it until day 2 and I probably should've culled but I didn't out of hopes she will be semi independent as an adult. (Able to feed and water herself)

She's only 2 weeks old and it's already this far apart, it worries me a bit. So far she seems able to eat and drink properly, and hasn't needed my assistance.

But my growing concern is how much worse it will get as she grows up, or if culling now would be necessary.

But for future reference (and may apply to this issue) what is the best and least painful way to euthanize a chick, or bird in general? And do you think she will need euthanasia, or is there still a chance?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230521_091215_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_091215_Video Player.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20230521_091208_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_091208_Video Player.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230521_091012_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_091012_Video Player.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 20
I have an americauna that’s about 2.5 months old. I’ve attached a photo at 2 months. She is fine, I think. I make mash to have available for them which I think is easier for her to eat. She is still on pace growing with the others. She is always eating whereas the others kind of get their full and move on. I clean up her face every once in a while. She is managing on her own pretty well though. I don’t know about continued severity. I think the only thing that might need maintenance is if the lower beak doesn’t quit growing; we might need to file it down for her. Good luck!

Attachments

• 4C9B04DD-AE5B-49C1-B97F-2A1B8963D0C8.jpeg
    4C9B04DD-AE5B-49C1-B97F-2A1B8963D0C8.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 18
Many chicks like this do survive. Of course, you don't want to hatch her eggs to produce more disabled chicks. Be sure to provide a fairly deep dish of food so she doesn't have to peck at individual pieces of food. Sometimes the beak will need trimming to make it more useful for her. There are groups on facebook that offer advice for these birds. I wouldn't give up unless the bird doesn't have the will to live.

I personally wouldn't keep it around. It is bound to end up suffering one way or another.

Hard to say - this will be a more severe case of crossbeak due to how noticeable it already is (and it'll likely continue worsening as it grows) but some birds do manage to get by despite that.

If you end up needing to cull while it is still young, cutting off the head with scissors is the quickest option.

I would NOT recommend cutting off its head with scissors!!! Or killing it for that matter. I have a crossed beak chicken (2 and a bit months old) with a pretty bad case of crossbeak, and other than the fact that she needs a deeper bowl to eat and drink from, and the occasional clean of food from her face, she does fine! She is growing well, and getting along with the other chicks. In your case shinusaur it seems to be a pretty bad case though. I think, let nature run its course and if it dies it dies, but try to prevent that if possible. I think she will be fine. And there are many active threads on this topic.
good luck!

I also have a cross beak hen and she is almost 3 1/2 years old! And I’ve never had to assist her in any way, hers is pretty bad as well but she eats just fine and her buddy chicken cleans her face for her

Back
Top Bottom