$295??? They're kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I think that's just marketing spin... the same companies sell the same drugs in Canada and other countries for less money. They're funding their astronomical CEO bonuses and profit margins out of the wallets of Americans! Why? Because other countries cap the amount of profit a company can make. Here in America, "free market" means charge all you can get, and then some.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

Quote:
Thats just crazy huh? I am so glad you have Rx insurance. I think that getting the cost of meds down would go a long way to "Health Care Reform". Dont yall think? These same meds are cheaper in Canada and Mexico.

I go every 8 weeks to get drugged up. The cost is $9000 per visit. I've been doing this for about 8 years now. My insurance company hates me. Thank heavens for the insurance though!

At least you can get insurance .... my husband is self employed and takes a high blood pressure medicine and should be on others but we cannot afford. We can't even get insurance on us but we have the kids on a state funded insurance program for self employed persons but they offer nothing for adults. My daughter has sever allergies and now we found out my youngest has them as well and they put him on the same med. It is 379.00 for a 30 day supply for each kiddo. My husband's blood pressure medicine is 137.00 month. Then daughter's asthma meds run anywhere from 300-500.00 per month. Then when they (4 kids) get sick we have the antibiotics and nasal meds. We just went through a round of the flu not swine just plain ole flu that of course went through the whole house kids out sick for a week ....I spent over 600.00 in one week for treatment for the kids. It is insane...thank god I live in a small town and my pharnacy is a home town one. I will be paying this generous man for the rest of my life!!! The doctor's office lets us pay out office visits occasionally because they know we have to self pay. As for the drug company discounts we tried that and they only help if you basically have no income at all even after explaining and offering proof we emptied savings and checking to pay for the meds time after time if you ahve an income they just will not help you.

just one of my insulins is 198.00 and that is not for a months supply either. I use the novalog flex pen and it take 3 of them a month for part of my insulin needs so you take that times 3 and thats 600.00 just for 1 med that I have to have my other insulin is 22.00 x 2 vials of it, then there is the cholesterol pills, thank god I get them for 4.00 at walmart. then the heart pills Imdur then theres the blood pressure pills, 150.00 water pill 6.00, my advair is 60.00. so if I took all the meds I am suppose to it adds up to more than dh makes
No insurance no help turned down for state medicade. Oh and all of this is not including buing my insulin needles, and testing supplies.

Last edited:
Our 19yr old DS is uninsured. Went to the doc for the 1st time since turnng 19 and ended up with a 60$ prescription. You should have seen the look on his face when the pharm tech rang it up.

Until then he thought all meds were 4$.
th.gif

He hasnt even received the bill from the doc yet. I dont have the heart to tell him that it will be over 100$.

He is now looking for a job that will provide insurance.

***May we someday live in a country where medication and quality health care is available to all and no one has to choose between their health and their mortgage/groceries/heat***

That is totally what keeps our 19 year old going to school. She wants to stay on our health insurance. Thankfully she is rarely sick. She can get health insurance through her job but it cost a lot and doesn't pay out well.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not about capping profits or restricting how much money a company can make...it's about leverage, pure and simple.
smile.png

Canada has a single-payer prescription drug system.. The Canadian government has a department that buys all the meds and does all the negotiating with drug makers, and the pharmacies buy from the government. This gives Canadians an incredible amount of leverage, since the government can basically dictate prices as the only buyer for the entire country. The economic term for it is monopsony . It's the exact opposite of a monopoly and yields pretty much the opposite results; instead of the buyer paying the highest possible price, the buyer pays the lowest possible price.

That's why Rx drugs in Canada are so much cheaper than they are here in the states.

Not to start a political debate or anything, but....well, just think about that next time you hear someone tell you that single-payer systems don't work. Obviously it does work, or people from the US wouldn't be flocking to Canada to get their drugs.

Just sayin'.

big_smile.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom