Advice on coop design and chicken training

Hansizzle

Chirping
Jan 24, 2019
Xduxymo%QeKPWS1Uo%mKrw.jpg Jlhk15H5S3egSasAvkW%RA.jpg XxKkwfYzSZagfQZqSQQHpQ.jpg u%kv50IMTcOmQaMCeNhr7A.jpg lTLOIiMpQK2oD7KKHXP3Tw.jpg
Hi everybody! Ive been working my way through this site for the last 3 months and have gotten TONS of great information. For that, I thank you. I'm located in Southern CA and my wife was inspired to go out and buy some chicks a couple of months ago. Instead of getting a prefabricated coop I chose to take on the task of building everything myself. I used plans off of this site (witchita coop) for coop building and then opted to try out a bucket feeder I saw on one of the threads. I knew it was time to get my chicks out to the coop when they were flying around my sons room perched on his bookshelf! Haha! The Chicks have now been in their coop for 5 days. Nesting box is closed off as I am trying to get them to perch and not sleep inside of it. I have a total of 4 chicks and am having trouble getting them to eat from the bucket feeder. I can get them to poke their head in there but they won't draw out any food. I have also noticed that only one of them will go back up the ramp I made. At dusk they end up just huddling down in the run. Not sure how to get them back up there at night, aside from grabbing them and putting them on the perch. They don't seem to want to perch on there own either (just sit in the corner of coop). Any input is appreciated, on anything seen in the pictures. Can't wait to get some eggs! Looks to me like the orpington in the picture is a rooster!

Firstly, Welcome to BYC! :frow

Secondly, GREAT JOB on your coop and run!! :clap

Yes, I fear your orp is a cockerel.

You need to train the chicks to use the ramp. I did this by putting a mealworm trail on the ramp and encouraging each chick to "walk the plank". They figured it out in about 2 days.
I also burn a 7 watt equivalent night light in my coop so it is just light enough to encourage them to enter at dusk. It will take time for them to learn to get up on the perches. They will. Just leave the nest boxes closed off. They don't need them for a while.

Good luck.

Firstly, Welcome to BYC! :frow

Secondly, GREAT JOB on your coop and run!! :clap

Yes, I fear your orp is a cockerel.

You need to train the chicks to use the ramp. I did this by putting a mealworm trail on the ramp and encouraging each chick to "walk the plank". They figured it out in about 2 days.
I also burn a 7 watt equivalent night light in my coop so it is just light enough to encourage them to enter at dusk. It will take time for them to learn to get up on the perches. They will. Just leave the nest boxes closed off. They don't need them for a while.

Good luck.
Appreciate the reply! I will have them walk the plank. They seem to enjoy those worms quite a bit. Gonna try the night light as well. My wife is going to be upset that her bird is a rooster. Unfortunately we can't have em in my town. Ive got a good home for him though.

With some chicks I have had to gather them up and pop them inside the coop every night for a week before they get the hang of it...

But I think DobieLover's suggestion will work faster!

As to the bucket feeder....

I put a bit of scratch on the ports and inside the ports. I had one girl that was so excited to see the rare treat that she dove right in. Everyone else followed her lead. There was just a handful of scratch at each port, after that it was just chicken feed... but they had learned so no more scratch was needed.

Glad your here! I have some MAJOR advice on your coop design, Uhm...My advice is that you come over and design me a coop also!!! It looks SO GOOD!! As far as them not perching, I had a batch that did the same thing. I went out 3 nights in a row & stuck them up & the fourth night, they were there all by themselves. I am sure someone else has way more info then myself & can tell you correctly but that is just what worked for me. Enjoy your flock, looks like a great life for a Chicken :thumbsup

With some chicks I have had to gather them up and pop them inside the coop every night for a week before they get the hang of it...

But I think DobieLover's suggestion will work faster!

As to the bucket feeder....

I put a bit of scratch on the ports and inside the ports. I had one girl that was so excited to see the rare treat that she dove right in. Everyone else followed her lead. There was just a handful of scratch at each port, after that it was just chicken feed... but they had learned so no more scratch was needed.
Good idea. Gettin some scratch today. Appreciate your time.

Glad your here! I have some MAJOR advice on your coop design, Uhm...My advice is that you come over and design me a coop also!!! It looks SO GOOD!! As far as them not perching, I had a batch that did the same thing. I went out 3 nights in a row & stuck them up & the fourth night, they were there all by themselves. I am sure someone else has way more info then myself & can tell you correctly but that is just what worked for me. Enjoy your flock, looks like a great life for a Chicken :thumbsup
Sounds good. I’ll keep putting em on the Perch at night. A couple of my chickens seem a little slow! Haha! Or maybe I’m being impatient. Thx for the response.

Setup looks nice! Even though they've been out there 5 days this is still very new and different to them, and they don't have adults to show them the ropes, so you'll have to do it. Good advice up above, and as far as roosting, just be persistent and keep putting them up on the bars at dusk until they get the hang of it.

Setup looks nice! Even though they've been out there 5 days this is still very new and different to them, and they don't have adults to show them the ropes, so you'll have to do it. Good advice up above, and as far as roosting, just be persistent and keep putting them up on the bars at dusk until they get the hang of it.
Right! I was thinking that nature’s instinct would kick in quick. Sounds like I gotta slow down a bit and show em the ropes. I will say that it seems any problem can get solved on this site with all of the experience here. Thx for the input.

Back
Top Bottom