Aggressive female picking on our new Pekin

ZeroGShorts

Chirping
Jan 30, 2018
Hello all!

My mother's friend had given us her 2 year old Pekin last weekend. She was introduced to a flock of seven ducks: All females, Two 14 months old, Four 5 months old, One 2 months old. She's still adapting to her new home, but I've noticed our other white duck (14 months old, half the pekin's size, and we still can't figure out what breed she is haha) has been picking at her wing feathers since we introduced her and she's starting to go bald there.

I'm not sure how much this is a factor in her behavior, but the other/smaller white duck (that's picking at our Pekin) was rescued as a duckling last year, and she lived by herself for about two months before the family finally got her her first friend (This whole idea of keeping ducks was totally new to us then) Earlier this year she also got her right eye blinded by a cat.

Anywho, what I'm hoping is that like with my 5-month olds, things will mellow out in a few weeks. But in the event it doesn't are there any factors behind this y'all can think of? Any solutions? Any extra questions?

Thanks! :)

When I brought the khakis home, they picked on the Peking. I sprayed blue kote on her to help heal and it stopped the pecking. So I'm going to suggest to spray some on her. It may sound silly but it worked. Be warned that she will stay purple for a while and everything around will be purple from the spray and until it dries. Wear gloves and put disposable something down. I was purple for a while...lol

Usually when introducing a new flock member it's best to do it slowly, putting the newbie into a fenced area when the flock can meet and greet and the newbie can't be picked on.
Usually after a few days sometimes longer the established flock just accepts and ignores. But putting a new duck right into an existing flock can cause what your seeing so what I'd do is put newbie next to these ducks if you can make a temporary pen for your new one. Then when you can be out to supervise bring out the treats and toss on the ground let them all out together. As long as there isn't any injury going on like pulling wing feathers out I'd let them work out any pushing or chest bumping. You can also try putting a duck at a time with your new one let it spend the day with her . Putting the picker in last of all so that you have all the existing flock in with your new girl and when you put in the picker she is a newbie. Kind of turning the tables so to speak. This may take a few days to a week but I think if you try some of these you may see them become one flock. I have never liked a bully so I would rather try and get the newbie accepted some of these ways

Aggressiveness is normal so just watch and learn. We duck owners have lots to learn from our ducks. We have to learn how they use body language to talk to us, so make sure you are watching time with the new ducks(when they are together).

Back
Top Bottom