all my chickens killed by dog

I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
Yes it sounds like a dog attack. Back in Oct we had a dog break into our coop and kill 12 of my hens. It will be back. I say SSS. The one that got mine got away that morning and than came back that night. He will not kill anyone elses. He only broke their necks. Sounds like the roo's were protecting their hens. Once aagain I am so sorry.

Quote:
thanks for that advice - I'll ask around for a gaming camera. I've checked with the neighbours, and like me, no one recalls seeing this dog around before. If he took the one bird home, the owner may have realized what happened and may be keeping the dog locked up. And it may have been only one isolated incident yesterday, that it got out once. I realize it will want to come back, but how long would we put up a camera?

Quote:
I took the cochin to a vet this morning, and she was concerned about the extent of the bruising on the back, and the fact that the skin is sloughing. But he's home now and I'll be giving daily antibiotic and analgesia injections and ointment on the back, and tube feeds until he starts to show an interest in food and drink again. He's able to stand today, so no nerve damage. I used to be a baby nurse, so my nursing skills are kicking in.

You need to set a trap asap, even if you have to live bait it. You CAN KILL A DOG if it is on YOUR PROPERTY and KILLING YOUR LIVESTOCK-no gun?? Use a shovel or ax-most dogs like that will run when they see people coming. If not that bold you trap it and take it to animal control, tell them it killed your livestock and they will destroy it pronto. Probably just a stray/feral dog. And trying to get owners to pay...unless you have their dog chained to a tree and animal control or the local deputy the way, will deny ownership..UNLESS you get lucky enough to have it have an ID or RABIES tag on it.

I am very sorry for your loss....anyone who has owned chickens for any amount of time has experienced this...you are not alone and have hugs from the whole community...its a horrible thing to witness. If you do find this dogs owner you need to have a Come To the Lord Meeting with him/her and perhaps a local law enforcement official.

Our beautiful cochin (the only survivor) died this morning. I tried hard to save him, but he went downhill steadily. That was a tough burial. He still looked so beautiful and warm and fuzzy. That picture will stay with me for a long time. It was hard to cover him with dirt.

I don't know that I have too much hope of catching this dog. He never showed up yesterday, which would have seemed like a likely thing if he was still on the loose. My mother and I kept an eye out all day. I have never seen him around before, and if he came home with a chicken, his owner would have realized what happened, or at least a small part of what happened and locked the dog up. He may have been out just that one time. Or possibly one of my neighbours may have given the owners a heads up that I'm looking for them and their dog. They've all denied seeing this dog around, but one of them looked a bit concerned that I was talking about calling Animal Control. I also realize that it will be hard to prove that the dog belongs to someone, if we see it around, and it will be unlikely that an owner would acknowledge that it was loose at that time. And the chances of being reimbursed are even more remote.

I think our best bet is to rebuild the run and put shock wire around it, before we start with a new flock. I went to great lengths to cover it last fall, to keep smaller predators out. But this dog pushed through the lower part of the chicken wire, which I discovered now was probably not adequately nailed down. However, I've now heard of a collie biting his way through a thick wooden door to get at chickens. So if that dog really wanted to get into the run, he could have gotten through even if the chicken wire had been nailed down better.

I don't know what the rules are here about trapping and shooting dogs. This is BC, Canada. And I'd be afraid of trapping a local dog, as there are a few that come around, including my own.

Back
Top Bottom