Alpha Hens

growinupinfl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Pensacola
I have a question for you all.. How does one decide which is the Alpha Hen? My Roo well he is just my pain in the butt roo.. He is currently attending the school of hard knocks (that aren't so hard) that is called Roo school... He is slowly gaining these things called manners. But how do you distinguish which is the Alpha hen? Just an interesting thought. Is it the one he chases and tries to mate with most often? Or which. Hmmm

Christal

My alhpa hen is the boss even over the roo. I notice that she is the one that always decides who's going to be allowed to eat what treats and is the first to "introduce herself" to any new birds I add to the coop, and she's not always nice about it. What's funny is that she's not even the biggest hen out there. She's one of my EE hens.

I am new to chickens myself. I have a small flock of 4 laying hens with no rooster. I have been observing their behavior watching for signs as to their social order. It has really been fascinating to watch for me. There is plenty of space for them all to eat together so there doesn't seem to be any issues with that. But what I've noticed is Beatrice (cuckoo marans) is always first to go into the coop in the evenings, the others seem to wait for her and then follow once she is in. She usually comes out first as well in the morning. Also she never gets picked on by the others. They will posture and peck at one another sometimes but they all leave her be. I've assumed she is alpha based on those observations. These are the first chickens I've ever had so I still have much to learn.

Even in charge of the Roo... Hmmm has anyone else noticed that. I need to figure out which one is Alpha hen.. and pay her good attention so she can help keep the Colonel in line..

My Alpha hen is a SLW, she's not even the biggest
hu.gif
But, we do not have a rooster for her flock and she has recently started "crowing" its funny and loud
lol.png
She also squaks around everyone when treats are given out, its like she's monitoring everyone and bawks away, to remind them she's there watching
wink.png

Knew my Alpha Hen, she was the only one with intact feathers on her back. She mates on her terms, and is fast enough to make the roo trip over his feet. She's a Speckled Sussex, and yes she is the first in and first out, first for any treat and if she lets me hold her (doesn't complain) I can then hold all the other girls. Almost lost her to heat a couple weeks ago, but I took her in the house and rehydrated her. Knew things were bad when she would lay on my chest with her eyes closed letting me dribble water down her throat. She went outside when being held became an issue.

Back
Top Bottom