1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana has stopped laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BYOChickens, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BYOChickens

BYOChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    So my 10 month old has stopped laying her green eggs and don't know why. Is it normal in the colder months for them to completely stop? She isn't molting and seems like all is well. What am I missing here?

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Its cold, theres less amount of light in the day and she refuses to lay. It's unfortunately normal. She should pick back up in spring.

3. ruthlathe

ruthlathe New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    My Amercaunas are young - about 6 - 7 months old. They began laying a couple eggs each for about a month, and now have stopped. They don't appear to be sick at all - they do everything as usual, eat, drink, and are active. No changes in environment or feeding. Could the change in seasons be a factor? Anyone have any suggestions?

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

it could be the season, you could always try to get 14 hrs of light for them, that will probably get them laying again.

1 person likes this.
  5. ruthlathe

ruthlathe New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    OK, I know why they stopped laying. They need 16 hours of daylight to lay eggs. Guess next spring!

6. ruthlathe

ruthlathe New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    Thank you - that's it! They are otherwise healthy, eating well, and active. Next spring!

7. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. ruthlathe

ruthlathe New Egg

Oct 30, 2012
    She needs 16 hours of light to lay.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My coco maran stopped laying also about 3 weeks ago. All my others are still laying but she stopped. Some birds stop laying when the seasons change. A few of mine are also molting so no eggs. My maran is only 7 months old.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by