Another freakin dog fight thread....gross/graphic pics pg 3&4

Quote:
Which wound, the one missing skin? If so, yeah, I understand. I'm worried about Tuna, period, cause he doesn't even want to move. I guess I understand, I know he's in pain right now. Sasha is acting completely normal, wanting to play and wagging her tail and everything, but Tuna's lying on a pile of blankets in our room not moving. At all. Part of me thinks he's hamming it up, cause that's just the type of dog that he is, but part of me isn't convinced it's just him milking it.

She definately missed some major injuries! The only reason I really want to start an antibiotic is because I know there are more puncture wounds than I'm seeing, and some of them HAVE to be deeper than they look. Sasha got an infection on her neck a few months ago from a puncture (not sure where she got it) but it got infected very quickly and split open. It smelled horrible, and we had to take her in. The vet said that it had happened within 48 hours of the puncture, and that if we hadn't brought her in she would have died. I don't want to risk that!

Quote:
I don't know! I hope it's not his bone (which I kinda think it is) because there is NO skin left AT ALL. If it were to get stitched the surrounding skin would have to be pulled over to cover it, and being on his leg I don't even know if that would work. The skin would most likely tear. That's why I need help, advice, anything! I wish I had a country vet out here, one that was nice enough to take payments or something, but NO ONE here will do it. We won't be able to afford anything for another month. I just don't want him to die, that's what I'm worried about.

I have that leg wound wrapped in gauze, and I put some betadine on it again after flushing it with some saline and peroxide. What else should I do? Tomorrow I'm getting the cattle penicillin stuff (I still need to know how many days to give it to them) but that's about all I know to do.

Quote:
Are you dressing the leg wound at all, aside from just cleaning it with betadine? It really needs a good thick abx ointment on it, even if it's tribiotic (Neosporin or equivalent) pilfered from your own medicine cabinet, that would be fine. Really slather it on there. If you keep the edges of the wound clean (and if necessary, debrided), the skin WILL grow back over it just fine, and faster than you'd believe. I'm hoping that Tuna's just being a good, careful boy because he knows he's hurt, and that's why he's not moving too much.

I can't believe you don't have any vets that will work with you--ours won't take installments, exactly, but if it's a large, unexpected bill, they will allow you to write out several checks, and they will hold them until agreed-upon dates (we can't post-date them, legally, but it amounts to the same thing). I never would have been able to get Victor (horse) the emergency treatment he needed if the vet hadn't let me split up his $700 farm call into multiple checks.

Please dont get too worked up over this. I know it is upsetting, and the wounds look bad, but I have had the sad experience of seeing and treating animals with MUCH WORSE injuries than yours have. The odds of your dog becoming deathly ill from his injury is very small if you are caring for him like I know you are. Dogs are tough, and with proper care, they can and will heal up amazingly well from this kind of thing. Keep doing what you are doing, dont worry about stiches and such. Keep the injuries clean and check them often. He WILL GET BETTER.
smile.png

P.S. In that first shot of the leg wound, that looks like intact tendon-sheath to me. Anyone else? I can see how the second pic kinda looks like bone, but if it were, you should be seeing damaged tendon/muscle instead of just damaged skin. Right?

Quote:
I know, it's pathetic. The people here just don't care, when I called and explained they just told me to call someone else. Couldn't even give me any numbers, and refused to give me any over the phone advice. I told them what I was gonna do, and they wouldn't tell me if it was a good idea or not, they just kept saying to bring them in. I told them I couldn't afford it and asked if they had payment plans/low cost/income based care, and they said no, I have to be a regular patient. A large bill for us is over $50 bucks, which is $25 per dog. No one will do it.

I haven't put anything else on it, no ointments or anything, just washing and putting the betadine on it. So I'm guessing I need to put triple anti ointment on there? Is neosporin an ointment (stupid question, I know, but I've never used it)?

Quote:
Thank you, any reassurance is great! I've never dealt with this, I'm still a little freaked out. That's how I am with the first time for everything, first sick chicken, first dead chick, whatever. Any suggestions from someone with experience, menageriemama? (And anyone/everyone else, you guys have been awesome!)

hi....i also would be freaking out!!!....i think it should be kept moist though...also..if that is to the bone..it will be expensive!!..you poor thing!....do you have a humane society type thing in your area....they may help you out??...i'm sorry..i'm just trying to help you think of things here.....maybe when you get the penicillin..ask the workers there?..how many days to give it to them...they might know...when you wrap the leg..do you have any neosporin type stuff..a ointment...that will help keep it moist..i think... also,i know there are alot nurses on here..they will know what to do with a deep wound..wheather to pack it...or whatever.....they will chime in...good luck, Wendy

edited to say..oops!..just saw..others suggested the ointment thing also..sorry..wasnt copying others..

Last edited:
Yes, Neosporin, if you're rifling through your "people" cabinet. Generic is just called "triple antibiotic ointment." It has bacitracin, neomycin, and polymixin-b. It's the one that comes in the yellow and green tube. It deals with both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, so is good underneath dressings. But definitely don't just wrap it dry. You don't want the edges of the skin (or the rest of the wound) to dry out--it will heal much better if you keep a medicated salve of some kind on there. Something "gooey."

Sometime when you're at the feed store, go to the horse section and pick up a tub of Furacin ointment. It's dirt cheap, and lasts forever, and is nice and thick for stuff like this. Good to just have on hand.

I totally understand the money challenges, but to tell you the truth, if this were my animal, even if I had the money, I probably wouldn't be going to the vet at this point. Not yet, anyway. The wounds seem nice and clean, and I'd be surprised if they don't heal beautifully. The biggest challenge will be keeping the puncture wounds open enough so that they heal from the inside out, instead of sealing over externally and trapping infection inside.

Do u think the wound will be okay until tomorrow? Hubby gets home around 5-6, and he'll be picking up neosporin and the penicillin stuff tomorrow on his way home. So it'll be like this until then, unless I can find a way to get to the store tonight.

Cjeanean,
Though break. I've had to treat my cat for all sorts of punctures and bites over the years that we've had the stubborn little block headed twerp. I wear contact lenses, and I have an old solution bottle filled with hydrogen peroxide (the saline works real good for flushing and stuff too). The bottle allows me to squirt the peroxide into the wound with a little pressure and keeps me from getting stuff everywhere (like in the eyes). Frankly I use it on myself more than I like to admit. Treat the wound with peroxide 2-3 times a day for about half a week if infection does not set in. For the bigger wounds a little longer. If things get infected keep going. Smell the wound, if it stinks, it's infected. You may have to help an infection drain. I warn you, it's a nasty job, I've had CHUNKS of skin come off of the cat. And the smell... Keep in mind animal skin is not like our own, it will recover much better, even grow new hair follicles and such. Once the real danger of infection is over, stop the peroxide, it can burn the wound and keep it from healing till you stop treating with it. Change to saline (you can make your own in a pinch) till the fluid (should be clear after a while) stops seeping out between cleanings. Do you have a vet that you have taken your animals to in the past? If you do, call up and ask to speak with the doc personally. Explain the situation and work out a payment plan or something. Times are tough right now, if the doc is worth anything they will understand and try to work with you. Are there any free clinics in you area? I'd really try to get them seen by a doc. It may be less $$ to take them now than if they get really bad, not to mention the heartbreak of seeing them suffer or worse. Maybe wait 24-36 hours and if no sign of infection then you may have gotten lucky. If you see any signs though, with wounds like that, find a way to take them in. As far as the antibiotics, I've never given anything less than a week to my cats. Please keep in mind I AM NOT A VET, nor do I have any official training. I've just been to this rodeo before. Make sure both dogs eat well and be sure that they get some extra fat, protein, or whatever for a while. They need fuel to repair and fight off infection. If they don't want to eat, a good stiff broth usually does the trick. You are lucky it was dogs, I can guarantee that cats would be getting infections, cats have really bad flora in their mouths compared to dogs. One last thing animals (and people for that matter) in pain can bite in reaction even if it's against their nature. Have someone use a Vulcan Puppy Grip on the dog while treating (pin the dogs head to the ground with a thumb on the chin and the fingers behind the ear). Use the second hand to hold the muzzle shut and down for stronger dogs. Remember where the head goes, so must the body. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on the dog to keep them immobile, better for everyone, and it shows your dominance in the situation as well. I've had to put most of my two hundred pounds on a dog before. Once the dogs start to heal, you may need to put elizebethan collars on them to keep them from opening everything up again (it itches I'm sure). Good luck and keep us posted.

Swamp

Back
Top Bottom