Are you wondering what "squatting" is? (video)

omg thank you i've been looking for a squating vid for forever!!! I'm not sure if you're familiar with silkies but i was wondering, since a silkie's skin and comb is black how will i know when she is ready to lay? will it change color like other chickens?

That's why my girls do that! I thought they were just being nice so I could catch them easier ...
tongue2.gif

I have no experience with Silkies, hopefully somebody who does will chime in! I do have a black combed Wyandotte and it stays black, doesn't turn red like the others.

I am glad this video helped!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm wondering the same thing. My silkie who I think is a she, looked as if her comb had a faint tint of red showing through. I'm thinking she may be a he, or hopefully it's a sign shes getting ready to lay. I don't know?

Quote:
I'm new to Silkies, however, my white Silkie's comb has turned red because she is close to laying or laying (as I've said, it is either her or another that is leaving me eggs). Not sure if ALL silkies do that. My other Splash Silkie who may be the layer squats a lot, but does not have a red comb.

I just crack up every time my Scarlet (Rhode Island Red) does this. It is absolutely adorable. Like she's "bracing" herself for the worst.....

She also sometimes does a little marching thing with her feet at the same time.......

Thanks for posting! My girls are 13 weeks old yesterday, so no squatting yet, but I have noticed that the combs on some of them are a darker pink (not quite red, but getting closer) than they were before. My DS and I put the nesting boxes in the coop 2 days ago so the girls would have time to get used to them and try them out. So far, it doesn't appear that they've taken an interest in them. Ahhhhhh, the wait goes on................

Thanks for the video! My Lily - a B.O. - is only about 15 1/2 weeks old and started squatting a few days ago. Isn't she a little young for this? She is bigger than the other 2 B.O.s that I have. Cyril - my rooster - doesn't seem to have any interest yet. Maybe he still thinks that girls are yucky?
hu.gif

Quote:
My girls (24week old lt brahmas) started doing that a few weeks ago and I thought the same thing, they were just being submissive to me and making it easier for me to pick them up. We've held them since they were chicks and are very people friendly.

Back
Top Bottom