Ascites AND bumble foot - help please!

ksRNmama

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Kansas
So I’ve had 3 other hens in the last few years that developed ascites during their (short) lifetimes, and have successfully tapped their abdomens for comfort.eventually they either died or were culled. I’ve drained this ones’ belly once before, maybe a few months ago, but she has blown back up again. She also has all the telltale signs.....she’s pretty slow and lethargic, pants, squats under things to rest, just looks overall unhappy and uncomfortable.
Just now when I was washing her bottom of clumps of poop (another of her issues) her belly and comb were turning dark purple, as she just was so stressed.
Anyway, while giving her a good once over, I noticed that she’s also go bilateral bumblefoot! From the pics I’ve seen, it’s advanced! And I think another sore on the pad of a toe.
I just don’t know what to do. She’s only 3.5 yrs old, a backyard mix that I hatched, but due to her organ issues, I doubt she’s even laying anymore. I have had to cull probably 4 hens in the last year, and I don’t understand WHY I’ve had young (2-3 yr old) hens develop these issues with their bellies? What’s the etiology of this? Is this hen (w/ the bumblefoot etc) going to suffer more than benefit if I try to “fix” her at home? I’m torn.
Any advice or personal experience (esp w/ bumblefoot) would be helpful. And I’ll post some pics in a minute.

Can you post a pic. If it’s not to bad I might be able to offer a solution without surgery.
Here’s what they looked like. They were BAD. Sadly I found that her ascites were actually what I believe to be egg yolk peritonitis and so we euthanized her. I actually decided to necropsy her so that someone might be able to weigh in on was going on....

Attachments

• BFA765FC-BAD2-471F-A1CF-1AB4CE4AB60A.jpeg
    BFA765FC-BAD2-471F-A1CF-1AB4CE4AB60A.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 8472F8B0-FB17-4EE9-B900-F81669CBA860.jpeg
    8472F8B0-FB17-4EE9-B900-F81669CBA860.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Mine are getting ascites at 3 yrs old too. I don't understand.
I know! They’re so young! I’ve stopped giving all treats and kitchen scraps Bc I don’t know what else to change, but I’ve put down like 3 birds in a year, all who had to have their bellies tapped every few weeks/monthly. I thought that was what was going on with this one, but I was wrong. I just started a thread with necropsy photos to get some help with what was going on...

Alright, it seems it may be past non surgical treatment, but she will still make a full recovery. I have never cut out a bumble before, but here is a video people seem to be getting good info from and it seems to work.

Thanks for posting this. I’m going to be inspecting my girls feet from now on. I can’t believe how bad they were, and also how sick she was. I just feel ill about it all.

So I’ve had 3 other hens in the last few years that developed ascites during their (short) lifetimes, and have successfully tapped their abdomens for comfort.eventually they either died or were culled. I’ve drained this ones’ belly once before, maybe a few months ago, but she has blown back up again. She also has all the telltale signs.....she’s pretty slow and lethargic, pants, squats under things to rest, just looks overall unhappy and uncomfortable.
Just now when I was washing her bottom of clumps of poop (another of her issues) her belly and comb were turning dark purple, as she just was so stressed.
Anyway, while giving her a good once over, I noticed that she’s also go bilateral bumblefoot! From the pics I’ve seen, it’s advanced! And I think another sore on the pad of a toe.
I just don’t know what to do. She’s only 3.5 yrs old, a backyard mix that I hatched, but due to her organ issues, I doubt she’s even laying anymore. I have had to cull probably 4 hens in the last year, and I don’t understand WHY I’ve had young (2-3 yr old) hens develop these issues with their bellies? What’s the etiology of this? Is this hen (w/ the bumblefoot etc) going to suffer more than benefit if I try to “fix” her at home? I’m torn.
Any advice or personal experience (esp w/ bumblefoot) would be helpful. And I’ll post some pics in a minute.
What exactly did you feed on a regular basis?

Back
Top Bottom