Pics
It's possible, but the chances of 5 birds all being duds is pretty low, unless they came from some suspect stock where the breeder was carelessly interbreeding for several generations and that somehow affected laying rate.

Lots of my birds had a late start on laying, as I get my chicks in May so by the time they're ready to start, days are shortening and then it becomes something of a crapshoot as to when they'll actually start up.
Oh RMT, i was hoping you’d give me your expertise. 😊 You said Duds. Thats a crying shame that term. The girls came from a reputable farm in PA. I wanna say myers farm, but I’m not 100%. I did research them tho and felt comfortable. Now I’m curious. I’ll look it up later as I am zipping out to go see about my gram right now. 👵🐓❤️

Oh RMT, i was hoping you’d give me your expertise. 😊 You said Duds. Thats a crying shame that term. The girls came from a reputable farm in PA. I wanna say myers farm, but I’m not 100%. I did research them tho and felt comfortable. Now I’m curious. I’ll look it up later as I am zipping out to go see about my gram right now. 👵🐓❤️
Like I said, having multiple duds is unlikely, especially if the birds all seem active and healthy. It's most likely going to be reduced daylight hours right now that will impact onset of lay. Like our days are quite a lot shorter than in mid-summer, plus we have a lot of gloomy days right now where birds to turn in for bed even earlier.

Like I said, having multiple duds is unlikely, especially if the birds all seem active and healthy. It's most likely going to be reduced daylight hours right now that will impact onset of lay. Like our days are quite a lot shorter than in mid-summer, plus we have a lot of gloomy days right now where birds to turn in for bed even earlier.
Yup, all are doing well and i am entirely content without the laying yet. I have to admit i’d be overwhelmed with all the eggs at once.
Still a shame about the term ‘dud’ though.
🐓❤️

Orpingtons: 6-7 months
Rhode island reds: 6-8 months
I have some of the other ones but their not laying yet.
I have two Orpingtons that are just about a year old and have never layed an egg, that I’m aware of. One of them just started to show signs this week that she might lay soon. A year seems pretty drastic for hens to wait, but I just keep telling myself, they will lay longer than our others… if they ever start.

I have two Orpingtons that are just about a year old and have never layed an egg, that I’m aware of. One of them just started to show signs this week that she might lay soon. A year seems pretty drastic for hens to wait, but I just keep telling myself, they will lay longer than our others… if they ever start.
Wow, are you sure they don't have hidden nests?

This winter I covered my run with a tarp so my hens would stay dry but it blocks light and egg production dropped(from 4 or 5 down to 2 or 3 a day). I pulled the tarp back a week ago and in spite of the chilly nights and rain I still got 5 eggs yesterday and today.Your hens should start laying soon as weather breaks and they get more light.I live in zone 6.

Hatched in late April, started laying in September, mostly stopped in late October with a bunch of rain, turned back on in January and laying fierce. The marans and the isbar are the ones that kept laying, but the mossers and the azies closed shop. They are all synced up now.

Back
Top Bottom