Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Don't damp it! I prefer hemp when I can get it. You can get the compacted dust free stuff which is heaps better
Thank you. We didn't damp it, thought it would be safe enough for a night or two. We got the organic sugar cane mulch from "Hammer Barn" that we already use on our garden, thought we might rotate it through the hen house then onto the garden with added fertilizer!
But primarily we want to use the deep bedding method with the most effective and healthy product. So your number 1 choice is hemp? We'll try harder to get some. :D

I use hemp and love it. Although i love to buy local when i can i have found the best place to get the hemp shavings is pet circle which is an online delivery service based in sydney. Their service has been brilliant and their hemp very reasonable although still expensive compared to pine shavings. For comparison in melbourne the only hemp i could find was 100 lites for $70. At pet circle 100 litres is $40 and they have it on special sometimes so i try and buy it then. All the best finding a supply.

I use hemp and love it. Although i love to buy local when i can i have found the best place to get the hemp shavings is pet circle which is an online delivery service based in sydney. Their service has been brilliant and their hemp very reasonable although still expensive compared to pine shavings. For comparison in melbourne the only hemp i could find was 100 lites for $70. At pet circle 100 litres is $40 and they have it on special sometimes so i try and buy it then. All the best finding a supply.
do you have website address for pet circle please… would love to check out there products as I’m always looking for things for my feather babies..lol…

www.petcircle.com.au. i have been using them for 18 months with no problem. I would order and order would be delivered to my door within 3 days. They closed orders this week for a few days and when i emailed them they are having significant problems getting warehouse workers at present due to Sydney lockdowns and cases. So maybe dont judge them based on present situation!!!

www.petcircle.com.au. i have been using them for 18 months with no problem. I would order and order would be delivered to my door within 3 days. They closed orders this week for a few days and when i emailed them they are having significant problems getting warehouse workers at present due to Sydney lockdowns and cases. So maybe dont judge them based on present situation!!!
all Good… thanks…

Asking here, because I think only Aussies use sugar cane mulch bedding (and are awake right now:D)...
We've just put a bale in our brand new coop for out first ever chookies and it seems rather dusty (I wore a mask because I always do when working with it in the garden). We wanted to use hemp but left it too late to order, as we thought we could just pick it up from local PetBarn.
The husbana thinks we should damp it a little, I'm not sure that's a good idea.:(
I have used it and I didn't have a great experience with it. Too dusty and works it's way into the soil easily (if outside). Ended up replacing it with straw and replaced the straw with sand. The sand seems to be working the best at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom