Australorp Hens or Roosters?

AshleyMac

Hatching
May 14, 2021
Hi there,

We have two Australorp chickens we’ve raised since 5 weeks, they were from a straight run mix.

I’ve done my best to research the breed, and have not come to a solid conclusion on their sexes. They do both crow - which I enjoy but our neighbors do not. They’re about 5 months old now, so obviously not laying yet. Any wisdom is truly appreciated!
Pictures:
Together
"No Name"
"Alma"

Pullets do not crow only cockerels/roosters do. Pullets/hens lay eggs and are not as big and pretty as roosters. They are both roosters and they will likely fight for dominance soon if you don't separate them.
Not true. Pullets and hens can crow, though it’s uncommon. I’ve had three instances where one of my hens has crowed. I don’t have roosters anymore, and in two of those instances I witnessed the hen crowing. Hens being smaller than roosters is only true if they’re the same breed. Prettiness also isn’t the most accurate indicator, as hens can have bright, vibrant colors as well as roosters, and prettiness is subjective. They will probably fight for dominance, but without hens it shouldn’t be too serious. Plenty of people on this forum, including myself, have had successful rooster-only flocks.

Hi there,

we have two Australorp chickens we’ve raised since 5 weeks, they were from a straight run hatching.

I’ve done my best to research the breed and have not come to a solid conclusion on their sexes. They do both crow. They’re about 5 months old now, so obviously not laying yet. Any wisdom is truly appreciated!
Pictures:
Together
"No Name"
"Alma"
Not Australorps, not hens.
Two mutt roosters.
Crowing is not something 5 month old hens do.

Not true. Pullets and hens can crow, though it’s uncommon. I’ve had three instances where one of my hens has crowed. I don’t have roosters anymore, and in two of those instances I witnessed the hen crowing. Hens being smaller than roosters is only true if they’re the same breed. Prettiness also isn’t the most accurate indicator, as hens can have bright, vibrant colors as well as roosters, and prettiness is subjective. They will probably fight for dominance, but without hens it shouldn’t be too serious. Plenty of people on this forum, including myself, have had successful rooster-only flocks.
I had no idea that hens could crow. I guess we all learn something new every day.

This has been the issue with my research so far, many defining factors for each sex can be true for both in some instances. We do have one Americuana hen - hatched at the same time, and three about 5 week old Rhode Island Reds (hopefully hens, they were sold as such). The two in question are the calmest of the group and are currently very friendly/easy going all around (kiddos and dog included). We didn't plan to have roosters, we were under the assumption they were hens/pullets. As mentioned, I don't mind their crowing and truly enjoy them but the crowing has become problematic for our neighbors despite our efforts.
The easiest way to tell is to look for male-specific feathering, such as what I outlined below-
1D8B15F8-92B7-4FB3-BEBE-08EFD69CA7D2.jpeg

Those shiny, long, pointed feathers are something that hens don’t get.

Back
Top Bottom