Best Coop for a rental property

TrishSki

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
Looking for some guidance & suggestions on what kind of coop would be best for a rental property - we're moving to Leavenworth, KS where the ordinance is in our favor to keep chickens. We'll be looking for a rental house that will allow us to have some chickens but we want to be prepared and have a Coop that will do the least amount of "damage" to the property {in the landlord's eyes} so we can have something to present them with and hopefully get approval.
Thanks so much for any advice!

The least effect on the property probably means no bare areas or post holes. Putting the coop and run in a bed area would enable you to simply spread mulch and stick in a couple of plants when you move the coop. Since there was no grass to start with, none would have to be replaced. Setting the coop on the ground on a couple of bricks or concrete blocks for the base of the legs would eliminate any post holes. Fencing for the run could be with T-posts that are driven into the ground with a pipe driver. They are easy to remove and leave a small hole which would likely fill in with the next rain.

Just about anything you build will probably be too heavy to move and would need to be demolished to remove it from the site. If you use a panel-style of construction, the panels could be disassembled and moved.

You could build the entire operation on an old trailer frame and simply haul it away in time. All that would be left would be the effect of parking in place for a long time.

Chris

Wow!! Thank you so much for all the information! This really helps a lot! Just put our call into the Realtor and actually found one who was willing to work with us and help us find the right property for keeping chickens :)

Looking for some guidance & suggestions on what kind of coop would be best for a rental property - we're moving to Leavenworth, KS where the ordinance is in our favor to keep chickens. We'll be looking for a rental house that will allow us to have some chickens but we want to be prepared and have a Coop that will do the least amount of "damage" to the property {in the landlord's eyes} so we can have something to present them with and hopefully get approval.
Thanks so much for any advice!
honestly, I have a small prefab coop for 2-3 hens (but not recommended, the people that designed it did not understand chickens at all) That said, if I wanted to get rid of it tomorrow it would take all of an hour or two to remove it and it would leave little to no trace it had been there at all. Pick a cute smaller coop (or even a tractor) - attractive is very important- and keep only a couple chickens and most things you build or buy will not damage your landlord's property. Our chickens have dug holes in our lawn, but its nothing that some soil and sod wouldn't fix, again in a very short amount of time. If I were a landlord, I would be fine with 2-3 chickens and a smaller attractive coop. A dog would do much more damage, and many landlords allow dogs.

Back
Top Bottom