Best Duck feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bsides2007, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Fodder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fermented

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. bsides2007

bsides2007 Songster

Jun 8, 2015
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Hi everyone :)
    I am happy to say that I am now (finally) a duck mom! I have been feeding all of my ducks organic and non-gmo feed from the beginning, but am curious to get other opinions on types of duck feed. I know there are better options than Dumor (even though it's organic) but I'm stumped on whether to try a different brand like Scratch and Peck feeds, or to go an entirely different rout and do fermented feed or a fodder system. Which do you prefer/think is best and why?

I'm also in the process of building their coop, so I'd love to see some examples if you have photos!

Thanks!

2. pomnovice

pomnovice In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Hello, and congratulations! As for your feed question, I think I'm speaking for most of us when I say we often use non-organic feed. But in my experience, feed combined with vegetation (such as vegetables in fodder) have made my ducks the happiest. Feel free to ask anything else, I hope this helped.

bsides2007 likes this.
  3. bsides2007

bsides2007 Songster

Jun 8, 2015
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Pomnovice, which grains do you like for your fodder system? Thanks a bunch!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I use a Non GMO feed and ferment it. My flock loves it.

I use to have pics of my coops but when things changed here I have no idea where anything is. lol

bsides2007 and chickens really like this.
  5. Yooperducker

Yooperducker Chirping

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    Fermented?????

bsides2007 likes this.
  6. Chandra Prater

Chandra Prater In the Brooder

I like the Mazuri waterfowl feed because it floats. My vet recommended it but it's only available on their website, so that's a pain in the neck.

3crazyboys and bsides2007 like this.
  7. Duckstruck

Duckstruck Songster

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Before, I used chicken scratch and found a deficiency in one of my ducks. I switched them to chicken layer feed and things have been going well so far.

8. bsides2007

bsides2007 Songster

Jun 8, 2015
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Hi from another yooper and duck owner! Copper Harbor is beautiful! I am in Ontonagon :)

9. Kangasox

Kangasox Songster

Feb 27, 2015
    I ferment a non-gmo organic feed and they love it. they are VERY upset when we are away or don't ferment.

bsides2007 likes this.
  10. luvmyduckies

luvmyduckies Songster

May 12, 2016
    Upper Sandusky OHIO
    I FEED PELLETS AND GIVE SOME SCRATCH, CRACKED CORN, AND OCCASSIONAL WHEAT THEY LOVE THE WHEAT Just FYI On the scratch feed bag I feed it says it is NOT a complete food for the ducks They also love a little dry cat food

Cherrie Cumpston and bsides2007 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: