Black, hole-shaped scabs on the back of my Duck's knees??

lunyre

In the Brooder
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
what does this mean.. he's walking perfectly fine and eats normally too. Is it from laying down too much or falling and scuffing himself?

Could you expand on hole-shaped? Like depressions? Sounds like an injury. Are there other people who handle him or animals in contact with him? What is his bedding?

Does he have to step over anything? Does he go outside?

I would put an Epsom salt compress on the back of the joints for a few minutes each day, dab some triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller on it, and watch.

Here's a photo. I'm using towels as a bedding. Could it be from feces getting on him causing it?

Ducks and ducklings are generally okay with the poop around them as long as the bedding is cleaned regularly. There is probably a whole discussion on what that means.

Is the bedding mostly dry most of the time or does it get and stay swampy for several hours at a time? It is a big hurdle for most of us to provide water 24/7 and yet keep the bedding mostly dry. There are some good ideas we have come up with over the years. Some kind of platform or section of the brooder that keeps splashed water out of the rest of the bedding works very well.

Here is one
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

Here is another
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/679433/water-water-everywhere/10

Here is mine (for ducklings you would want a different kind of water container so they won't drown, but the watering station would likely work - and I would put a towel over the sawdust pellets to keep the littles from eating them - mine used to try to eat shavings so we used towels)

Now, as to the little's leg - looks like an infected injury. I would do what I wrote in Post 3 on this thread. And please keep us updated, feel free to ask questions and toss out ideas.

Prayers for you and the littles.

Sometimes its wet for a couple hours because I'm out in school or work.. I'm going to make a bigger non spill water container since they grew out of the last one.. any advice for alternative bedding? And where can I buy the antibiotic ointment?

Sometimes its wet for a couple hours because I'm out in school or work.. I'm going to make a bigger non spill water container since they grew out of the last one.. any advice for alternative bedding? And where can I buy the antibiotic ointment?
Triple antibiotic can be bought just about any where Dollar stores even carry it.

My opinion on this now that I've seen the pic is that sure is a lot of swelling. I would focus on the Epsom Salt Compress or Epsom Salt Soaks for the immediate future. You might be lucky and not need the antibiotic. Did you say how long the leg has been like that?

Back
Top Bottom