Breeding coturnix quail color questions

I’ve got one that looks very similar to yours. I thought at first that it was a golden male, but turned out to be female. I haven’t had any luck identifying the colour either.

I have been trying to figure out how to put my colour groupings together, and I’ve been told it’s fine to put golds together, but now maybe I’ll make sure to split them up. So if I put an Italian roo with brown hens, I’ll end up with some browns and some Italians? I’m realizing that my ability to understand genetics is pretty lousy...haha
You should get a 50-50 split.

Sorry, my post somehow ended up being added to the quoted post. I guess it’s not just my understanding of genetics that is lacking...

Here’s the girl I was talking about

And I may have fixed it!
I've seen similar coming out of one of the Australian breeders, but not quite the same. She looks almost like the "Pansy" colour that came out of Japan, but with some sort of dilute gene in the mix! What a stunner. If you're in Aus, gimme some eggs haha!

You got most of it quite perfectly!

For every gene studied in quail there are a dozen that haven't been, and conflicting information *everywhere*. And the gold complex is one of particular confusion :th

Here's a bunch of reading material for both of you if you're interested! I found going straight to the studies a lot more illuminating than trying to guess colors off of the mostly-incomplete guides.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ccs-big-list-of-coturnix-quail-studies.1295000/
Newbie quail keeper here. I just discovered confusing info about golden quail. I just put 15 Manchirian gold & 30 Texas A&M in the incubator. Is this a bad mix to start out with? Should I keep the golden separate from the white? Or, is it OK to breed the white with golden but not golden to golden?

Newbie quail keeper here. I just discovered confusing info about golden quail. I just put 15 Manchirian gold & 30 Texas A&M in the incubator. Is this a bad mix to start out with? Should I keep the golden separate from the white? Or, is it OK to breed the white with golden but not golden to golden?

This is an old thread. You might have better luck if you start a new thread, in this same forum, to ask your question.

So let me try understand if I mate an English white with an English white I’ll get a white?
If I mate a pharaoh with a pharaoh I’ll get all pharaohs?

and if I mate a pharaoh with an English white I’ll get 50/50? Or mostly pharaohs?

man this is hard to wrap my head around

So let me try understand if I mate an English white with an English white I’ll get a white?
If I mate a pharaoh with a pharaoh I’ll get all pharaohs?

and if I mate a pharaoh with an English white I’ll get 50/50? Or mostly pharaohs?

man this is hard to wrap my head around
It’s my understanding, which could be wrong, that English white is a recessive gene, and we don’t often see it in the us, but they’re fairly common in England. The white birds we see in the us are usually the Texas a&m line. I believe they are carriers of all the combined pied genes, and they usually have a couple spots of color on the head or back. You will not get tuxedos by breeding an English white to a pharaoh, unless one or both carry various pied genes, such as white bib, white primaries, etc. it’s a combo of, I want to say 5-7, different pied genes that combine to make tuxes and a&ms.

Back
Top Bottom