The Australian Sussex Club has a site that lists Sussex and other poultry standards. I recent looked at the standards presented and there are no standards for lavender Sussex chickens. So apparently they are not currently recognized in Australia. I recently hatched 4 "pure bred" Light Sussex chicks, but one is clearly a Coronation. I've been assuming the Coronation is a dilute of the Light coloration, but if I'm wrong tell me so.
I Also was a bit confused with the Sussex breed and was informed by a Breeder the only gene mix that you can have is lavender and silver it will bring out more defined feathers in you lavender chicks and the light mixed with the coronation is a better gene mix I love the coronation and wanted to mix my lavender girls with a coronation wanting to get some coronation chicks but was told all I would get was messy coloured chicks learning as I go

This is quite common(not Lavender x Light but on same genetic background)

Lavender = E/E, lav/lav = Basically a solid Black chicken with recessive Lavender dilution

Light = eWh/eWh, Lav+/Lav+ Co/Co, basically a Silver Columbian based on wheaten.

Such Cross will produce E/eWh, Lav+/lav, Co/co+ and most likely both Silver based S/S. So This cross will produce Black Chicks with white underbelly and when they grow up they will produce Pseudo Silver Birchen(Silver phenotype in Sussex) looking birds.

If you had to guess how they look, just look at what Black Sex links look(which are E/eWh, Lav+/Lav+, Co/co+, s+/) but most likely silver based instead of gold
I’m sorry, I’m really trying to understand this but my brain is just not doing it.

So if you have the time can you tell me what breeds to cross to get to the black sexlink down the bottom.

I’m in Australia
We have the solid lavender sussex here, light Sussex and coronation, we do have silver Sussex but extremely hard to find and not the best quality. If I already have a silver, what should I cross it with to get the front lacing better? A lavender Sussex, light Sussex or coronation or a combo?

Another question

To create a silver form scratch I’m feeling I need to do light Sussex cross lavender and then those offspring need to go to something else?

Back
Top Bottom