broccoli and other foods

Laffindog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
I work part-time in a grocery store and am able to raid the bins where our produce guy throws away the stuff that won't sell. My chickens seem to really like cantaloupe and yellow squash, zucchini and watermelon but apples are only so-so.

I've never tried oranges and the other citrus fruits and never broccoli. It seems I've read that broccoli is not good to give them, is that right?

They have a feeder inside the coop with a pellet/scratch mix, plus we throw out handfulls of this mix a couple times a day. They "free-range" in their pen, which is fairly large for four small bantams. Sometimes I make spaghetti for them and give it first thing in the morning, occasionally rice, though it's been awhile.

Does all this sound ok? Is there anything more I could try? I think the pellets are too large for them so sometimes I break it into smaller pieces. I've never seen what the crumbles look like but I may buy that instead, next time. Is it ok to mix crumble and scratch?

I swear that I read that citrus was a no-no but broccoli is ok. I give mine broccoli alot so if its wrong someone PLEASE speak up! How lucky you are to have free access to fresh veggies. I worked in food service years ago and the boss always gave me left over produce for my iguanna! It was great!

Yeah, it IS wonderful!
big_smile.png
The boss feeds all this old food to his goats but he doesn't care if I take a few things here and there. With only four birds, one squash a day is plenty!

I read here a couple weeks ago that someone gives their chickens grapes but I haven't tried that yet.

Our chickens LOVE seedless grapes. I buy a few pounds when they're on sale and keep them cold in the fridge. They get all excited and we're off to the chicken races. The big girls can handle whole grapes, but the banties (all cochins) like to peck at it from my hand until it's small enough for them to swallow. They are quite dainty about it, but the big girls are absolute pigs! They really like grapes in this hot weather.

If I can find them at a low enuf price, I will freeze grapes for later, as they make great low cal snacks for people, too!

I cut and froze a cantaloupe yesterday and gave them half of it today. They just love it! I will have to try the grapes soon. Thanks!

I have found that my girls like cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes as well as the grapes. I try to not give them too many because they will eat only these treats and not their layer pellets if you let them.
yippiechickie.gif
My girls do not like many of the treats that everyone seems to feed their hens so I am glad that they love the grapes and tomatoes at least.

My chickens love cottage cheese and plain yogurt mixed with any vegetables I have handy........do you have access to the dairy dept. as well.

Quote:
Our girls LOVE their grapes. wow, they will leap 3 feet in the air trying to snatch them out of my hands!
We refer to grapes as "chicken candy". Have you ever given them a grape between your fingers? Then eaten one! omg, they are like horrified that they have to compete with YOU for grapes, ha ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom