CayugaMama

Songster
May 22, 2020
Austin, TX
My Bantam Cochin Has been sitting on a few eggs for the past 18 days. She has been doing great and has been a wonderful broody. I have put water and food in a small tray in her nesting box with her, so that she is able to take care of herself without having to go too far. I check on her every day, but today when I checked on her I noticed that her wattles, and comb were swollen & pale. She isn't acting different that usual. Is this a broody thing or could she be sick with something? This is my first broody, so I want to be sure!
Thanks!

543E0551-A359-4B54-9479-362A36E92722.jpeg
D7BB2C42-6D15-46F2-BC3D-9EC5ECEAC766.jpeg

My Bantam Cochin Has been sitting on a few eggs for the past 18 days. She has been doing great and has been a wonderful broody. I have put water and food in a small tray in her nesting box with her, so that she is able to take care of herself without having to go too far. I check on her every day, but today when I checked on her I noticed that her wattles, and comb were swollen & pale. She isn't acting different that usual. Is this a broody thing or could she be sick with something? This is my first broody, so I want to be sure!
Thanks!
Bump!

personally, i have never had a broody before, so i'm not sure what is goign on
is it getting cold or something?
is she eating enough and pooping?

personally, i have never had a broody before, so i'm not sure what is goign on
is it getting cold or something?
is she eating enough and pooping?
It hasn't gotten below 35 at night here in Austin, so I don't believe it's too cold. Her nesting box is attached to the coop, and her hen friend sleeps next to her at night. So I think she is probably staying warm enough. She has her own water & food and I monitor that she is using it a little each day. I'm not sure on the BMs - she only leaves the nest for like 10 minutes a day to dust bathe!

It hasn't gotten below 35 at night here in Austin, so I don't believe it's too cold. Her nesting box is attached to the coop, and her hen friend sleeps next to her at night. So I think she is probably staying warm enough. She has her own water & food and I monitor that she is using it a little each day. I'm not sure on the BMs - she only leaves the nest for like 10 minutes a day to dust bathe!
i think i heard that they only leave once a day! :bow
hmmmm, has there been any bullying? (if there is you might want to separate her)

i think i heard that they only leave once a day! :bow
hmmmm, has there been any bullying? (if there is you might want to separate her)
Up until she went broody, she was the head honcho of the flock! I don't get the impression that she would be bullied - that I have noticed at least! There are 2 sores on her wattle & comb that almost look fluid filled. I wondered if this is just something that happens to broodies, or perhaps she has fowl pox :(

Back
Top Bottom