Budgies!

It's a myth that dowels, just by being dowels, hurt their feet. I have raised more than 100 birds over like a decade, using all manner of perches, but rarely without dowels. Dowels are completely, 100% safe perches that are easy to fit in the cage and easily cleaned. And given a choice, many of my birds favor them over alternatives as sleeping spots for their level, even surface.

The myth stems from large (read: heavy) parrots historically kept in small round cages with one dowel. The bird, without any exercise to its feet, got arthritis and pressure sores and was also obese from the poor diets provided to parrots last century and before, exacerbating the problem.

The dowel was not to fault. The lack of any freedom of movement and multiple sized perches to sit on was to blame. A few sizes of dowel perch in a cage is all that is required to maintain foot health in cage birds, though they enjoy more varied things to sit on like springs and swings and natural sticks with bark to chew.

But dowels will not hurt you bird unless one is the only thing they have to stand on for years on end.

Game Show No GIF by ABC Network

Budgies are great, and you can't tell me otherwise. :tongue Besides, they're not any messier than other birds.
False! I used to maintain a bird barn. The amount of feathers and seed hulls around the breeding cages with budgies was vastly larger than the ones around the other birds which include but were not limited to many species of conures, cockatoos, macaws, other (better) parakeets, Sengals, Meyers, Red Bellies, Cockatiels, Kings, Barrabands, Princess of Wales, Parrotlets, etc.

I get wheezy and can't breathe if im to close to bird dust...that goes for any bird but really bad for budgies not so much chickens though. I use to breed but think im gonna retire from it kinda just isnt fun anymore. Might breed in a few years but i have way to many now to consider breeding more. So im done for now lol im more focused on my chicken projects these days
All the high-dander producing species do me like that. Cockatoos, African Greys, Cockatiels, and the Australian Budgie are the worst. Species that bathe more regularly, don't seem to bother me as bad.

I tried one of those grass hammock things @SundownAviaries recommended, but they will not get on it unless I hang millet from it, lol, but then they manage to get it down and kick it to the floor of their cage. They LOVE their finger trap forage toy I got them and that spiral rope thing though. Jade likes to move around the beads on her hanging bell thing or the side of the hammock.
Your birds are broken. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom