Buff Minorca acting weird

FreeRangers4Me

Chirping
Nov 3, 2016
Ok, so let me explain what's going on. I thought I would try some white egg layers and went with 2 Buff Minorcas, 1 Silver Spangled Hamburg, and 3 Egyptian Fayoumis. They are all 7 months old now. About 6 weeks ago, one of these chickens started laying a small white egg (about 5 a week) in the same nest. I decided it was the SSH since it was small and white. I found a extra extra small tinted egg about this time that I'm sure belonged to one of the Egyptians. These tinted eggs have slowly doubled in size and I get 1 to 2 of them a day. I've never found a med to large white egg that the Minorcas are suppose to lay. My birds free range and there a lots of places to hide eggs so I just thought they were hiding them.

But one of my Minorcas has gone broody on the nest where the small white eggs were always layed and the white eggs have stopped being laying in any of the nests I provide or can find. So now I'm not sure who was laying that small white egg. The weird thing? She went broody on an empty nest. The white eggs just stopped and a week later this bird is parked on the empty nest.The other birds stopped using it when she wouldn't move and I stopped removing eggs when she went broody because there were none in the nest. This bird is only 7 months old and a breed that's not suppose to go broody. The days have shortened and there is a chill in the air that Oklahoma doesn't usually have until Halloween. Why is this bird gone broody? Do you think there is something wrong with her? She's from McMurray's hatchery. And do you think the white eggs were hers?

I decided to give her some of my EE eggs to see if she can hatch them because I felt sorry for her trying to hatch eggs that weren't there. She doesn't peck me when I lift her up to check the nest. She just squeaks like holy hell and fluffs her feathers up. Catching her would have been difficult before.

Is she just a weirdo Minorca? Has anyone experienced something similar?

I'll attach a photo of her and a photo of the white and tinted eggs compared to a large RIR's egg for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 5
I've not had any of those breeds so I can't comment on the eggs.

Any hen has the potential to go broody. It's a hormonal phase. They don't require any eggs to do it. I would break her by putting her in a wire bottomed crate for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom