Caged Hens Campaign

Quote:
One disease cage free hen, would spread it to thousands in the packed barn. Agree the caged hens need more room. but dont think cage free, the way they are being done is better ,but worst.

Again ,its not the cage thing , but the room they have.

Quote:
the kids are the next adults and consumers. current ads and media ensures support for the future. the industry wants them on their side. start young and you can plant many seeds of support.

Quote:
the kids are the next adults and consumers. current ads and media ensures support for the future. the industry wants them on their side. start young and you can plant many seeds of support.

I guess this is where the parents come in and tell the kids not to believe everything the media tells them, and then explain why they (the parents puchasing whatever) make the choices they do. I've always pointed out discrepencies in ads to my daughter - how many of the claims don't make any sense based on what we know to be true. For example, chickens that spend their lives walking around pastures, eating grass and whatever they find while foraging (natural chicken behavior) tend to lay eggs with deep orange yolks that taste really good, have large breasts because they can use their legs and wings, hence building muscle, etc.

I am sad to say that some very negative posts have driven an active member of this community away from this conversation because this member may not be mature enough to communicate maturely.

sad.png

Quote:
I do apologize if I was a bit harsh, but being uninformed and opinionated will always draw out conversation. I've said on quite a few threads how I feel about consolidated feed lots, battery birds, but the truth is, I don't have enough land and growing season to raise all my own meat and produce. Cage free birds vs battery birds.... cage free birds have a worse life by every study I've ever read.. the eggs have a higher likelihood of being contaminated in a cage free environment, and to truly free range every chicken so every egg is free range...well that would put us back 80 years ago to where poultry prices where. Way up there.

ETA - I don't always like it, but I do go to the grocery store.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do apologize if I was a bit harsh, but being uninformed and opinionated will always draw out conversation. I've said on quite a few threads how I feel about consolidated feed lots, battery birds, but the truth is, I don't have enough land and growing season to raise all my own meat and produce. Cage free birds vs battery birds.... cage free birds have a worse life by every study I've ever read.. the eggs have a higher likelihood of being contaminated in a cage free environment, and to truly free range every chicken so every egg is free range...well that would put us back 80 years ago to where poultry prices where. Way up there.

ETA - I don't always like it, but I do go to the grocery store.

Well said, but dude!!! It wasn;t you.
lol.png

Sadly many parents and even grandparents haven't a clue where food comes from. All we can do is educate our families and friends and hope that knowledge expands.

Boyd is right, it is NOT realistic or practical that every bird be free range. The best choice is humane cages.

In a perfect world things might be different but this world isn't perfect. We've got to do the best we have with what we have available.

Quote:
I recently watched a "How It's Made" episode that had humanely caged birds.... They had lenty of room to spread their wings, wander about, etc. Not all batteries are cruel.

Back
Top Bottom