California - Northern

Hi Nor Cal Peeps,
I am looking for a place to process my meat birds in the Sacramento/foothills area. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance for any help
I've heard good things about this one:
New American Poultry
8612 Younger Creek in
Sacramento, CA 95828

(916) 441-1466

Specialties

We specialize in poultry processing, including white chicken, brown chicken, squab, chukar, big rooster, as well as parts.

History

Established in 1950
New American Poultry was established in the early 1950's and has been supplying the Sacramento area with fresh poultry ever since. Having operated out of our former location at 519 Broadway, New American Poultry has (as of 2012) moved to our new location at 8612 Younger Creek Drive.

Jason are you or your farm on Facebook? Found someone looking for eggs.

Deb its my breese. The boy that pumpkins raised has feathered legs. And a few people who have the second generation eggs have reported feathered legs. My guess is it needs 4 generations to come out.
yes message my penedesenca site. penedesenca breeders and fan club page
Um... since Jason lost his WHITE rooster to hawk, and hawks will eat WHITE rabbits in a heartbeat - I sort of doubt this statement. White is actually easier to see...

However, my mother swears that her BLACK chickens are safe from hawks (she looses the other colors easily - especially the white) because they look like crows, and hawks think twice about attacking crows...

Interesting how stories are started, huh?
Hawks will spot a white chicken . little running bulls eyes
Deb and I would say that the Black chickens are naturally superior, so they are harder for the Hawk to catch.
lau.gif

To be fair, Jason't White Rooster was likely defending the Crele Hens.
My empordanesa attacked the hawk but being a large red tail he was no match
Linda, it's most likely the skunk, as it's been hanging around, but owls will take heads too. Good luck.
yep

I've heard good things about this one:
New American Poultry
8612 Younger Creek in
Sacramento, CA 95828

(916) 441-1466

Specialties

We specialize in poultry processing, including white chicken, brown chicken, squab, chukar, big rooster, as well as parts.

History

Established in 1950
New American Poultry was established in the early 1950's and has been supplying the Sacramento area with fresh poultry ever since. Having operated out of our former location at 519 Broadway, New American Poultry has (as of 2012) moved to our new location at 8612 Younger Creek Drive.

oooh that's very close too. I don't have many chickens to even consider doing this but its good to know.

I picked up 4 - 7 week old Cornish X Monday. The lady bought them planning to process them for "organic, free range" chicken meat. They got big, and she processed one, then decided she couldn't do it. I got them for $5 each, not bad. They were between 8-9 pounds when I brought them home. I weighed my 20 week old CC to compare. She weighed in at 16 pounds!!
ep.gif

So sorry about the hawk attacks. They are very difficult to deter.

Molly - congrats on more boys gone!

I've had boys going out the door too, but three at a time and they are reentering through the freezer door.  Plan to do a few more this morning.  I HAVE to get these numbers under control if for no other reason than having a place to put the growing juveniles.

Processing the young turkey was an error in judgment, he wasn't much bigger than a processed campine.  Although he's still big enough for two meals for us.  We need to let the other 50 grow a few more months.  It's a shame to have them lose their life for such a pittance (although people eat squab and quail).

If you need help when the turkeys are ready, just let me know and I can come help.  Your DH will have to do the killin' part though.

Wow, seriously the most generous offer I've ever heard.  I've processed plenty of birds and can attest to that.  If I took you up on it, you could go home with all the turkeys you could carry, LOL

Works for me. I can carry a lot! Hahahaha.

Back
Top Bottom