California - Northern

Broody mama lovin'. Had to share.
1f60d.png

She just hatched a Golden Campine and a Lakenvelder from debs_flock.
1f495.png

She looks so happy.
smile.png

Because who doesn't love seeing a photo of a day old chick?

"Where am I and how did I get here???"
big_smile.png

Yay for your moms house. Maybe the defensible area that she maintains did the trick.
X2!

Whew, finally caught up with all the posts. Congrats on all the new hatches. I am waiting for some eggs to hatch under my broody silkie. I can hardly wait. I have no idea if they are fertile or not, but have my fingers crossed. They should be hatching by Thursday if the are gonna start hatching.

Hope everyone's sick birds are doing better. It always makes me sad when any of my animals aren't doing well. :0(

What a lovely little kitten you got there Hangtown Farms. I do hope your older cat comes back. It is always scary when you lose a pet. Especially with all the predators in the foothills. My older dog disappeared last week. We had almost given up, when I found him at the placerville shelter. Someone had found him and brought him in. Maybe your cat will be there.

Thanks to all those working on the fires. We are grateful for all your hard work!!!

Good morning all!

Well it looks like she is going to be okay! Thanks to everyone with words of commizeration (is that even a word?) and understanding. The suggestions on how to do things were great and much appreciated.

This morning she was still acting strange, but I got her out of the pet carrier and wrapped her in a towel. After she stopped fighting me she willingly ate the medicine. I did put some honey in it so hopefully honey isn't something that will kill a bird!

Anyway, I took the opportunity to trim some of her crest and then put some Blue Kote on the bald patch the others won't let grow back in. I used a small kids paint brush and it worked really well. I only got a little on my fingers and that was because I trimmed feathers AFTER I put on the Blue Kote. Note to self...... do Blue Kote last!

She is back out with the others and seems to be wide awake and acting as normal as a Polish can be.

I did get lucky in a way because my daughter decided to not feel very good over night and this morning so we stayed home from school/work. Mind you I am not lucky because she is sick, but lucky in that I had more time to work on the bird without having to run out to work first thing.

Thanks again everyone!

Yay for chicken recovery! Sparkles is looking better but my other pullet is not improving much. I could not get ahold of on of her meds over the weekend so I'm doing that now. Let's hope it works.
Crested breeds are so much nmore work then regular chickens!

Good morning all!

Well it looks like she is going to be okay! Thanks to everyone with words of commizeration (is that even a word?) and understanding. The suggestions on how to do things were great and much appreciated.

This morning she was still acting strange, but I got her out of the pet carrier and wrapped her in a towel. After she stopped fighting me she willingly ate the medicine. I did put some honey in it so hopefully honey isn't something that will kill a bird!

Anyway, I took the opportunity to trim some of her crest and then put some Blue Kote on the bald patch the others won't let grow back in. I used a small kids paint brush and it worked really well. I only got a little on my fingers and that was because I trimmed feathers AFTER I put on the Blue Kote. Note to self...... do Blue Kote last!

She is back out with the others and seems to be wide awake and acting as normal as a Polish can be.

I did get lucky in a way because my daughter decided to not feel very good over night and this morning so we stayed home from school/work. Mind you I am not lucky because she is sick, but lucky in that I had more time to work on the bird without having to run out to work first thing.

Thanks again everyone!
thumbsup.gif
Good Job!

If they get over the shock, chickens can recover nicely.

Yay for chicken recovery! Sparkles is looking better but my other pullet is not improving much. I could not get ahold of on of her meds over the weekend so I'm doing that now. Let's hope it works.
Crested breeds are so much nmore work then regular chickens!

You know I had one White Crested Polish in my last flock and two hatchery (i.e. bad looking) silkies. I didn't have a single problem with them. No pulled feathers no brain trauma....... but this one must have a bullseye on her because she is one of the few with "issues"

thumbsup.gif
Good Job!

If they get over the shock, chickens can recover nicely.
I kept that in mind the whole time thinking that some birds really have recovered from serious injury. What I did find out is that my birds have basically gotten too large to spend any time in my make shift pet hospital. My pet carrier is too small now that they are bigger. My Orpingtons would NEVER have fit in it! I would have had feathers poking out of it all over and she wouldn't probably be able to turn around.
lol.png
I need to look for something else to have on hand.

Last edited:
What I did find out is that my birds have basically gotten too large to spend any time in my make shift pet hospital. My pet carrier is too small now that they are bigger. My Orpingtons would NEVER have fit in it! I would have had feathers poking out of it all over and she wouldn't probably be able to turn around.
lol.png

Watch the thrift stores. That's where I get all the pet carriers that I use for hauling birds to the shows. They work great and you can usually get them for $5 or less.

You know I had one White Crested Polish in my last flock and two hatchery (i.e. bad looking) silkies. I didn't have a single problem with them. No pulled feathers no brain trauma....... but this one must have a bullseye on her because she is one of the few with "issues"

I kept that in mind the whole time thinking that some birds really have recovered from serious injury. What I did find out is that my birds have basically gotten too large to spend any time in my make shift pet hospital. My pet carrier is too small now that they are bigger. My Orpingtons would NEVER have fit in it! I would have had feathers poking out of it all over and she wouldn't probably be able to turn around.
lol.png
All my bantam Polish have come from breeders and I have never had problems with crest picking. They were even hatched and raised with (until the rooster chicks got too rowdy) bossy, LF BLRW chicks. They have attitude though and stand up for themselves. Maybe yours is too submissive? Glad she is doing better!

Back
Top Bottom