California - Northern

Sounds good!

Roses have their own weird toxin in them that can cause problems. I wonder if it isn't bumblefoot but a different type of wound from the Black Berries and it is healing on it's own?

Good job taking care of them!

We have problems growing Black Berries here--the soil and water are very Alkaline.

goodnight.gif
Hmm I don't know. Never occurred to me. I am SO hoping it resolves on it's own. Everyone always says a healthy animal can take care of most of what ails it on it's own....if it's healthy. So hopefully I have kept her healthy enough she can heal without my interference.
fl.gif

Have a good night Ron...and anyone reading! Fall is in the air!

AAARRGH! I am SO mad! Really tired of losing chicks! I lost one of my Marans chicks 4 days after I got them, then another (which was also showing the same symptoms as the first) died Saturday night. I had told my husband that when it died I was going to send it to UC Davis so I could figure out what's going on. But he disposed of it in some bushes in the orchard because we had all 5 of our grandkids (from ages 18 months to 11 years) over for the weekend and he didn't want the kids to see the dead chickie! I've had these chicks in the garage and would really like to get them up to the grow out pen up where the other chickens are (and out of my husbands garage) but need to know what happened and if they're contagious!

In the last two weeks I also lost two chicks that drowned in these short tubs we use for water. They're for the horses but all the chickens prefer them for water. I'm not sure why the chicks couldn't get out. The soft down must soak the water up quickly....anyway, THEN last night I go up to put the chickens away and the raccoon that routinely destroys the feed room in the barn trying to get the cat food came running out. He's a regular and there is a battle going on between him and my husband as to how dexterous a raccoon actually is! Most of time I can't even get the dang lid off myself but the raccoon mostly wins. One of my broodies went broody in the hay stall in our barn. She's been in there for over two months and previously the raccoon had preferred cat food. Well, last night I brought the cat food into the house so my husband can rethink his battle.....the raccoon decided he'd have chicken for dinner last night and ate ALL three of my broodies babies! And these were my only EE's who I had planned to add any pullets to my egg producers for my egg customers, as well as the Marans of which the 4 left I think only one is a pullet. :hit So now I have a broody running around crying for her babies, which is enough to break the hardest of hearts!

Before all this happened we discussed last night that we need to set the trap but were tired after having all the grandkids and decided to set it tonight. :th I also heard two loud thumps but didn't investigate because I thought it was the horses kicking the stalls. It was the raccoon knocking stuff over trying to get up on the wall and over into the stall the broody and her chicks were in!

Really? It's only Monday? That's 7 chicks in two weeks! :he

Im so very sorry...Heart Breaking! Molly

Gosh, I don't even want to think of how long ago I graduated high school. Now that makes me feel old!

Thanks for the complements on my birds and coop. DH gets the credit for all the work on the coop:love . We kept on adding on to it and modifiying it. Now, DH really is sick of working on it LOL, but I'm very happy because this year we added automatic doors with timers, auto waterers, and some nice weather proof feeders for the runs. We "borrowed" the idea for the feeders off an aussie website. They are made of pvc that is painted with a textured sand paint to help protect against UV sun damage.

Love the feeder. Might have to make one. :)

Quote: Here, I'll make you feel better........................I turned 59 last month.

Deb
I'm 51 and love my 50's.....miss that body I had in my 20's but wouldn't want to be 20 again. Not that it was a bad time, because it wasn't, life just seems to get easier when you get older, not so much drama..... except in the chicken coop!!!

Quote:
I don't think it's bumblefoot Amy - she'd still be limping. From what I've seen of Mary's birds with bumblefoot, it's extremely painful for them. When you look at the bottom of her foot, do you see the black scab? Give her time and see if it heals on it's own.

I did have a hen that was limping and had the black scab and I thought it was bumblefoot. I dug and squeezed in her foot and never got the plug out. I did it twice without getting anything out of it. I decided I wasn't going to put her through that anymore and left her alone. She's fine now, so I don't know what it was.

Last edited:
I don't think it's bumblefoot Amy - she'd still be limping. From what I've seen of Mary's birds with bumblefoot, it's extremely painful for them. When you look at the bottom of her foot, do you see the black scab? Give her time and see if it heals on it's own.

I did have a hen that was limping and had the black scab and I thought it was bumblefoot. I dug and squeezed in her foot and never got the plug out. I did it twice without getting anything out of it. I decided I wasn't going to put her through that anymore and left her alone. She's fine now, so I don't know what it was.
Yes it has a black scab in the center will get a pic up today. You can see the lump from even the top of her foot. I 'assume' that since it was causing her to limp and stand on one foot at once time and then over weeks she stopped- it must be resolving itself whatever it is. That is my hope. Without getting rid of all our blackberry bushes - I know they can injure themselves. I trimmed them back 2 weeks ago and pulled all the runners off the walkways. I hope that helps.

We are keeping out eye on her and it- and working on getting supplies ready just in case.

Back
Top Bottom