California-Southern

Hi all,

New to urban chicken farming and living in Los Angeles County. Have five young pullets, all from "Chickens Galore" in Norco (advertises on craigslist). We chose this hatchery since they had chicks ready to go outside and the guy who runs the place was responsive and helpful. His chicks run from day-old to five months+ old. All hens healthy so far (it's been two months) and tolerated the recent heat wave well. Waiting now for them to lay eggs!

Am wondering what those of you in LA/Riverside County find to be your worst predators and how you predator-proofed your coop? One of our chicks was killed by an opossum, but we've now (hopefully) secured the coop pretty well.

Also, what do you do for odor control? Our coop is smallish and inside a dog run, so not really enclosed. We've been using Sweet PDZ, a vinegar spray, and removing waste every day, but always looking for other ideas to keep the smell down. Even though chickens are allowed in our city, I'm trying to be inconspicuous sound and smell-wise. Thanks!
Welcome to southern CA chicken-ing.... my favorite way of odor control is to free range as well as possible, then use DE in the coop. As long as the DE is there, you won't get flies as much... you won't have a mite problem (presumably) and the smell is bettter.... wait. Not BETTER, really.... just not icky.

As for predators, we have had a skunk attack one of our girls, and there's a hawk or two that love the hover around the yard......

Hi all,

New to urban chicken farming and living in Los Angeles County. Have five young pullets, all from "Chickens Galore" in Norco (advertises on craigslist). We chose this hatchery since they had chicks ready to go outside and the guy who runs the place was responsive and helpful. His chicks run from day-old to five months+ old. All hens healthy so far (it's been two months) and tolerated the recent heat wave well. Waiting now for them to lay eggs!

Am wondering what those of you in LA/Riverside County find to be your worst predators and how you predator-proofed your coop? One of our chicks was killed by an opossum, but we've now (hopefully) secured the coop pretty well.

Also, what do you do for odor control? Our coop is smallish and inside a dog run, so not really enclosed. We've been using Sweet PDZ, a vinegar spray, and removing waste every day, but always looking for other ideas to keep the smell down. Even though chickens are allowed in our city, I'm trying to be inconspicuous sound and smell-wise. Thanks!
I do deep litter method and I've got to say, even on our 105 degree days with the mister on, which you'd think would be the really stinky days, we couldn't really smell anything. Maybe we're lucky and our chicks poop don't stink, but I have to say, I've always been happy with the lack of odor. I do use DE but more for mites than odor control.

I do deep litter method and I've got to say, even on our 105 degree days with the mister on, which you'd think would be the really stinky days, we couldn't really smell anything. Maybe we're lucky and our chicks poop don't stink, but I have to say, I've always been happy with the lack of odor. I do use DE but more for mites than odor control.

I never noticed a huge problem with odor, but I'd like to know the solution to FLIES! I've done research for years, know all the usual suggestions including fly predators, but this year they were horrendous. DE doesn't seem to do anything for flies (maybe it's just me).

As far as predators, I am in the nountains of San Bernardino County so we have bad ones, but even in urban areas there are coyotes.

I never noticed a huge problem with odor, but I'd like to know the solution to FLIES! I've done research for years, know all the usual suggestions including fly predators, but this year they were horrendous. DE doesn't seem to do anything for flies (maybe it's just me).

Yeah, I think flies are always going to be a bit of a problem. We've tried a few things and other than just keeping things as clean as possible, I don't know that there's really any good solution. They haven't been too bad this year - annoying but not obnoxiously so.

Thanks for all the helpful replies and warm welcome! We didn't have much of a mess/smell problem with three pullets (OEG bantam, Dominique and Faverolle), but since adding two messy/stinky birds (Speckled Sussex and Welsummer), the coop/run gets pretty dirty. Both birds seem healthy, but maybe they're older or just make a lot more waste for some reason. They are all from the same hatchery.

We let them out in the afternoon/evening to free range, so I clean the coop then and they get to run around eating all the plants and grass in the yard
smile.png
We had flies the first week, so I got some kind of yellow fly repellent thing from Kmart that I hang as far away from the coop as possible, but close enough so it works.

Stupid question: does DE do the same thing as Sweet PDZ? Also, where do you get yours? I'm live/work near east LA and Riverside County.

Thanks again!

2cream legbar roosters available in northern San Diego. They are about 16 weeks old and have been fed organically and free range. Good for breeding or eating. Cream Legbars are an auto sexing breed that lays blue eggs.

who could sell me a rooster live in coachella valley
Ooooooh yes yes yes yes..... gorgeous lemon blue cochin rooster.... amazing coloring. GREAT PERSONALITY. I'm in Long Beach, and the roo is in Irvine. PM me if you think you may be interested. He's about 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom